The Healthy Gaming Throne
As someone with back pain, it’s tempting to buy any cheap gaming chair with lumbar support and call it a day. But lumbar support—while important—isn’t the be-all, end-all; there are several other factors that must be considered.
We tried out the six best gaming chairs for people with back pain. From the sharp and aggressive looking GTRacing Gaming Chair to the laid-back and relaxed Goplus Massage Gaming Chair, this blog reviews them all!
Top Gaming Chairs for Back Pain
- Secretlab Titan Evo XL 2022: The best premium gaming chair for back pain. A no-compromise gaming chair built using sturdy aluminum and polyurethane leather upholstery. It can carry up to 395 pounds and has a 165-degrees recline angle.
- GTRacing Gaming Chair: The top budget gaming chair for people with back pain. It’s a superb gaming chair in various colors and has dual stereo surround speakers. The maximum carrying capacity is 330 pounds.
- E-Win Flash XL: The best gaming chair for big and tall people. The backrest has a 155-degree recline angle, and the seat height can go as high as 20.5 inches. Perfect for people over 6 feet.
- Homall Gaming Recliner Chair: A gaming rocker chair console users will love. This chair is extremely cozy and comfortable and has a built-in lumbar for back support. Also, the seat has a 20-inch depth, which is more than enough room for most people.
- Goplus Massage Gaming Chair: The top pick for gamer-centric reclining gaming chairs. The chair has a 22-inch deep seat with a spacious 24-inch wide backrest. Users can recline up to 140 degrees and relax as the four massage spots at the back do their work. A great product for people with back aches and other back-related injuries.
- X Rocker Prism PC Chair: Probably the best gaming chair for online streamers into RGB lighting effects and color visual game aesthetics. This reclining gaming chair lets users choose from 30 colors to feature on its RGB strip. You can hook the dual stereo surround sound speakers to your PC or console via Bluetooth.
- Top Gaming Chairs for Back Pain
- Are Gaming Chairs Actually Ergonomic?
- Best Gaming Chairs for Back Pain [2022 Review!]
- Secretlab Titan Evo XL  – Best Gaming Chair for Back Pain Overall
- GTRacing Gaming Chair – Best Budget Gaming Chair for Back Pain
- E-Win Flash XL – Best Gaming Chair for Big and Tall People With Back Pain
- Homall Gaming Recliner Chair – Best Gaming Rocker Chair for Console Gamers With Back Pain
- Goplus Massage Gaming Chair – Gaming Chair With Lumbar Support and Footrest
- X Rocker Prism PC Chair – Best RGB Chair for Gamers With Back Pain
- Comparing Top Gaming Chairs for Back Pain for 2022
- What Chair Does PewDiePie Use?
- What is the Best Sitting Position for Lower Back Pain?
- How to Choose the Best Gaming Chair for Back Pain?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Gaming Chairs for Back Pain
Are Gaming Chairs Actually Ergonomic?
Yes. Gaming chairs are ergonomically designed to be comfortable for long periods. In addition, they are highly adjustable, mitigate the risk of back injuries, and should be preferred over office chairs, especially if you game for hours on end.
So, what gaming chair is best for back pain?
Best Gaming Chairs for Back Pain [2022 Review!]
If you search for gaming chairs online, you’ll find hundreds of similar products, each claiming to be ‘the best gaming chair for back pain’. But clearly, some are cheap knockoffs, whereas others aren’t back pain-friendly!
So, to narrow our choices, we searched for the best gaming chairs for back pain on Reddit. Next, we collected as much data on gamer chairs as possible from reliable sources. At the end we were left with 14 chairs good for your back aches and back-related injuries.
Our Testing Methodology
For this test, we requested various team members—ranging from 120-250 pounds in weight and 5.3”-6.4” in height—to test each chair for three weeks and also switched up the chair between each team member.
At the end of each shift, each participant shared their experience. So, hundreds of collective testing hours later, here are the six best gaming chairs for back pain in 2022!
Secretlab Titan Evo XL  – Best Gaming Chair for Back Pain Overall
Secretlab Titan Evo XL (2022) is our top pick for gaming chairs for back pain. It’s a premium, no-compromise gaming chair that’s great for your back but heavy on the wallet!
The Secretlab Titan Evo XL is built using high-quality materials (expected from such a pricey gaming chair). For example, the wheelbase is made of reinforced ADC12 aluminum making it strong and sturdy. Consequently, this product weighs 83 pounds.
The chair has soft, plush, premium upholstery made from polyurethane leather that’s pleasing to the eye. It sits atop a gas lift cylinder capable of carrying 395 pounds. At its core is a built-in lumbar support to alleviate spinal pressure and 4D armrests at the sides.
True to its ergonomic claim, the backrest features a 90 to 165-degree recline angle with spacious seat dimensions (19.5” width and 35” seat height).
The Titan Evo XL received unanimous praise from all testers for its build quality and user comfort. However, two of our shortest testers at 5.3” and 5.5” struggled with foot placement, so shorter people should consider investing in the Secretlab Omega line of gaming chairs instead.
To conclude, this is the best gaming chair money can buy. The only downside is the price tag which may not accommodate most people’s budgets.
GTRacing Gaming Chair – Best Budget Gaming Chair for Back Pain
GTRacing Gaming Chair is our top best budget gaming chair for back pain. It has a sharp look and resembles a racing car seat. But the truth is, the GTRacing Gaming Chair isn’t just about aesthetics.
The chair is surprisingly well built, given its relatively modest price tag. The wheelbase has a solid, metallic construction with five wheels for maximum stability. The seat and backrest are comfortable and padded with polyurethane leather, giving it a royal feel.
As for the ergonomics, the chair doesn’t disappoint – the backrest has a 90 to 170-degree recline angle with a 20-degree tilt. Also, the seat is 20” wide and can carry up to 330 pounds. Overall, this chair hits well above its weight.
Regarding multimedia, the chair comes with dual stereo speakers, which you can connect with your PC or console via Bluetooth from up to 5 meters. The speaker sound quality is decent, even with the bass turned up.
All participants had positive things to say about this gaming chair, mainly because it ticks all the right boxes at such a low price. Overall, this is a great budget offering, and if you’re strapped for cash, you can’t go wrong with the GTRacing Gaming Chair.
E-Win Flash XL – Best Gaming Chair for Big and Tall People With Back Pain
The E-Win gaming chair is our top pick for people who happen to be bigger or taller than the average gamer. It’s a sturdy, well-built chair with a stiff, 5 star wide aluminum chassis and a Class-4 Gas Lift. Because of this, the chair has a lifting capacity of up to a whopping 550 lbs, which happens to be over 100 lbs more than other chairs in this list!
But the chair isn’t all about the carrying capacity either. It’s also perfect if you simply want a little extra room. The seat, for example, is 16.5” wide and the seat-height can be adjusted between 16.5 to 20.5 inches. Hence why the chair is suitable for a wide range of people, with heights between 5’7” to 7’0”.
In terms of comfort, the chair comes equipped with the new and improved E-Win cold-cure foam that has a prolonged durability. Overall, there’s ample padding on both the seat, as well as the backrest.
Speaking of which, the backrest has a recline angle of 85 to 155 degrees. The angle, while typical for a gaming chair, is a bit lacking when compared to recliners. But the chair is still very comfortable for naps. It almost feels like you’re napping on a couch!
To further increase comfort and durability, the chair is equipped with 75mm/3″ casters,specifically engineered for quieter operation and greater resistance to debris.
As for the test, the E-Win gaming chair was one of the more popular choices among our participants. Most of them were very pleased by the adjustability, stability and comfort of the chair. However, there were some very minor complaints about the relatively limited recline angle.
To summarize, E-Win Flash XL is a fantastic gaming chair for people with an above average weight and physique.
Homall Gaming Recliner Chair – Best Gaming Rocker Chair for Console Gamers With Back Pain
The Homall Gaming Chair is a comfortable recliner best suited for console gamers. Made using soft polyurethane leather, the chair is easy to maintain and clean – a common concern among recliner users!
Because it markets itself as a recliner, the Homall Gaming Chair is easily one of the most comfortable gaming chairs. It has built-in lumbar support, and you can add two massage spots on the lumbar for a little extra.
Adjustability is a non-issue here; a wide backseat 90 to 180-degree recline angle combined with a plush seat means you can comfortably nap on the chair for hours without aggravating your back pain.
Speaking of back pain, the seat is also wide and comfortable with a 20-inch depth –plenty of room to maneuver. Sadly, all that comfort comes at a price; the chair is quite heavy at 63 pounds and is not height adjustable – what you see is what you get.
There isn’t anything significant to complain about except the height adjustability factor. The tallest tester in the group was 6’5” and described the chair as cramped and not comfortable enough for taking a nap. At the same time, others pointed out the lack of multimedia support.
The Homall Gaming chair is barebones, aside from the optional massage spots. There’s no RGB, stereo-surround sound, or RGB lighting effects.
Overall, this is a good gaming chair for console users, as long as they happen to be under 6 feet.
Goplus Massage Gaming Chair – Gaming Chair With Lumbar Support and Footrest
The Goplus Massage Gaming Chair takes the lead regarding lumbar support and footrests. It’s one of the sturdier gaming chairs with a heavily padded seat cushion and a soft, comfortable headrest pillow.
Ergonomically, the Goplus Massage Gaming Chair is very comfortable. There’s plenty of room to move around on the spacious 22” deep seat. The backrest is also wide with a 24” inch width and a 28” height.
Unfortunately, the backrest is limited to a 90 to 140-degree recline angle. So, while the gaming chair or ‘couch’ is very comfortable to sit and game on, you may find it too upright to nap.
There are also four massage spots at the back of the chair, which is fantastic for people with back pain. At the side is a pouch you can use to store your phone or the gamepad and a handy cup holder on the left armrest.
In terms of build quality, the Goplus Massage Gaming Chair is made from faux leather. While not entirely up to par with genuine leather, it’s durable and easy to clean. And despite the excellent build quality, the couch is lightweight, weighing only 50 pounds.
Most of our smaller testers enjoyed their time on the Goplus Massage Gaming Chair and found it comfortable and a joy to play video games on.
Most of our smaller testers enjoyed their time on the Goplus Massage Gaming Chair and found it comfortable and a joy to play video games on.
On the other hand, the larger, heavier testers in our group were less impressed. Some of them pointed out the seat’s limited recline angle, and one 6’2” tester didn’t like the placement of the footrest.
To sum it up, the Goplus Massage Gaming Chair is a solid choice for shorter people with constant back pain.
X Rocker Prism PC Chair – Best RGB Chair for Gamers With Back Pain
Let’s start with the look: The chair has a fabulous LED RGB strip that goes to the edges of the seat and the backrest. The lighting effects are customizable, so you can choose between 30 colors to match your gaming rig’s RGB effects.
And there’s more: The backrest features dual-stereo speakers with surround sound, which you can connect to your PC via Bluetooth. In our testing, the speakers get reasonably loud and have decent audio quality.
However, we weren’t particularly impressed by the low and high frequencies. It’s mostly just mids, which is okay for gaming but not so much for music.
As for the build quality, the X Rocker Prism didn’t disappoint in that department either. Instead of a wheelbase, the chair has a central pedestal, which is remarkably stable. But, unfortunately, the chair isn’t height adjustable, so you’re stuck at one level.
The chair has breathable fabric, which is nice, plush, soft, and just 40.3 pounds –surprisingly lightweight. As a result, the carrying capacity is limited to just 250 pounds.
Unsurprisingly, the chair creaked and squealed under the weight of heavy testers (we’re talking 250 pounds). But to its credit, it didn’t break!
We wouldn’t recommend the X Rocker Prism to people who weigh more than 220 pounds.
Comparing Top Gaming Chairs for Back Pain for 2022
|Gaming Chair||Recline(Degrees)||Carrying Capacity||Rating(/10)|
|Secret Lab Titan Evo XL||90 – 165||395 lbs||10.0|
|GTRacing Gaming Chair||90 – 170||265 lbs||9.5|
|E-Win Flash XL||90 – 155||550 lbs||9.0|
|Homall Gaming Recliner Chair||90 – 180||265 lbs||8.5|
|Goplus Massage Gaming Chair||90 – 140||265 lbs||8.0|
|X Rocker Prism PC Chair||90 – 150||250 lbs||8.0|
What Chair Does PewDiePie Use?
Famous YouTube personality PewDiePie uses a semi-custom ‘Throttle’ gaming chair developed by a company called ‘Clutch Chairz.’
What is the Best Sitting Position for Lower Back Pain?
For the best sitting position, you’ll have to adjust each aspect of your gaming chair according to the following:
- Upper Back: Sit at the back of your seat with your upper back aligned with the backrest. The seat should also slightly recline as it helps relieve pressure from your lower back.
- Lower Back: The lumbar support should be placed at the lower back – between your hip bone and your upper back. Don’t place it around (or just below) the ribs, as that will exert excessive pressure on your lower back discs.
- Knees: Your knees should be at a 90-degree (or slightly higher) angle while sitting.
- Arms and shoulders: The armrests should be high enough to support your elbows and shoulders. This helps reduce your upper body pressure on the back.
- Feet: Place your feet evenly on the ground. For this purpose, you can either lower the seat or use footrests.
How to Choose the Best Gaming Chair for Back Pain?
As is the case with most pieces of furniture, gaming chairs don’t come in one-size-fits-all. Here are all the essential factors that you should consider before making the final decision:
- Comfort: Ensure the chair has good padding and that its height, pan, recline, and headrest are adjusted to your liking.
- Backrest: The chair must have a good backrest and lumbar support for upright seating. You can also add customized lumbar support for an optimal sitting experience.
- Material: If you sit on your chair for long periods, buying a chair with soft, breathable upholstery is best to keep your body cool. For quick sessions, you can choose a more premium, durable material, such as leather.
- Size: Gaming chairs come in various sizes. Look for a height-appropriate chair that’s not too large nor cramped for your body frame.
- Stability: The weight capacity of a chair determines its strength. You may find the chair unstable if your weight exceeds the carrying capacity of the chair. It may even break down eventually.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gaming Chairs for Back Pain
Got a burning question about gaming chairs and back pain? Read on!
Why Does My Back Hurt When I Sit In My Gaming Chair?
Many factors can cause back pain in a gaming chair:
- Lumbar Support: An improperly placed lumbar support can aggravate tailbone pressure, causing a backache.
- Muscle Stiffness: Sitting on your gaming chair for prolonged periods without stretching and muscle contraction may stiffen the back muscles.
- Ergonomics: A gaming chair that’s either too big or small for your body frame may cause muscle cramps in your back and your hips, thighs, and calves.
What Are the Holes in Gaming Chairs For?
The holes in gaming chairs are for ventilation—to help keep your back cool and sweat-free. Air vents should be on your list of considerations if your back pain is caused by nerve tissue damage.
Nerve damage can cause a sensation of warmth and may stimulate the sweat glands, causing excessive perspiration.
How Can I Make My Gaming Chair More Comfortable?
Gaming chairs must be appropriately adjusted and optimized for your particular sitting style and ergonomics. You can make them more comfortable by adjusting their height, pan, recline, and armrests per your physique and personal preference.
How Much Does a Good Gaming Chair for Back Pain Cost?
Gaming chairs cost around $250 on average, with premium models costing about $500 or more.
This concludes our review of the six best gaming chairs currently available. We hope this buyer’s guide will help you choose the ideal gaming chair for your back pain, regardless of your budget. Now it’s time to pick the best chair for your back. Just make sure you adjust it correctly.