Increase the clarity of your broadcast and stay in touch with your fans
Every notable streamer already knows that streaming is not about hardware showoffs; it is much more than that. It is about having and sharing the fun with your audience. Those viewers want to hear your voice, and talking to them feels not only natural and relaxed, but it also brings your connection with them on a more personal level and converts them to loyal fans.
That is why a good microphone is an investment that makes a difference. But it is not easy to pick one, and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. The tons of different mics available on the market boast with a lot of features, and they have quite varying price tags too.
Why spend your hard-earned money on bells and whistles that you probably won’t need? Without any further ado, let’s dive in and help you select the best mic for streaming to suit your needs and play-style.
- Antlion Modmic 5
- Audio-Technica AT2020
- Turtle Beach USB Stream Mic
- Razer Seiren Elite
- Samson G-Track Pro
- Cyber Acoustics CVL-2004
- Blue Yeti USB Microphone
- What Is The Best Set-Up For Me?
Antlion Modmic 5
Cheeky solution for small spaces with big features provided by minor and simple adjustments
This one is intended for the aspiring streamers who might be struggling with insufficient desk space. You might consider opting out from anything that threatens to eat up too much space. The Antlion ModMic 5 will solve your clutter problems. Even though it is small in size the audio quality is uncompromising. Its magnetic appendages are a breeze to attach and require a fuss-free usage.
The test I conducted established that the ModMic 5 only picked up noises from beside and in front of it. This would be handy when background noises, like your dog is begging some belly rubs or neighbors doing house repairs, are present.
Antlion also adds a pop-filter to better soften plosives, for example, P sounds in words such as “pup” “potent” and “pixel.” The included pop-filter served me well and can be easily removed without a hitch.
For the uncompromising techy audiophile
The Audio Technica AT2020 is a cardioid microphone that requires an XLR cable so it will take some tinkering, unlike the plug-and-play USB mic. Extra efforts will sometimes put users off. The manufacturer has responded to that scenario by providing an easy-to-use option. It is the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+m that will keep you on the right track.
If you go with the Audio Technica AT2020, consider that some additional procurement will be needed, in particular a mixing board (audio mixer) and an XLR cable. This is technically a pro setup. Maybe too sophisticated to some but we are talking advanced here. The AT2020 is big time and getting, setting and using it will earn you respect points. It’s not optimized for streaming but if being a podcaster is your dream then I definitely urge you to check it out.
This is an inexpensive mic if we are not counting the extra gear you would need to effectively use it. It offers versatility and studio-quality output. The Audio Technica AT2020 will shine in any set-up. It’s built to last will produce a balanced and clear recording. You can rely on superb performance in stream recording operation mode, while setting up a small studio is also a recommended use.
- Free Pop Filter Included!
- Condenser microphone with USB output for digital recording
- High quality A/D converter with 16 bit, 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate for superb audio
- Headphone jack with volume control allows you to monitor the microphone signal with no delay
- Mix control allows you to blend your microphone signal and pre-recorded audio
Turtle Beach USB Stream Mic
The Optimal Start-up Mic
The Turtle Beach Stream Mic is kind to your wallet but produces bad-ass results. This mic has various recording patterns you can choose from. Turtle Beach has a long history of making quality gaming sound gear, so it was not much of a shock finding out the first console streaming mic came from their camp.
The Turtle Beach Streaming Mic is lightweight and snug. Compact size makes it easy to transport. I consider this unit it is user-friendly. Take note that all you need is a vacant USB slot to plug it in, and you can get on with your streaming session.
One should not expect any excessive features from this mic. Rather than being a groundbreaker it is standard in terms of configuration, bulk and characteristics. This is a high-quality mic with recommended uses involving Gaming, Podcasts, and YouTube, to name a few. This particular mic is for console streaming but its performance undoubtedly puts it the all-purpose microphone range.
- Console Livestreaming Made Easy : The first professional quality desktop microphone designed for gamers live streaming directly from Xbox One, PlayStation4, and PC or Mac via a single USB connection
- Adaptive Mic Patterns with TruSpeak Technology: High definition voice pick up with Table Top and Boom mounted modes for exceptional clarity
- Professional Processing Performance: Studio grade digital processing balances EQ, gain and compression to deliver superior voice performance
- Built In Headphone Amplifier: A zero latency headphone output provides accurate monitoring over game audio and voice levels
- Personalized Voice Tuning: A quick and easy to use software download offers voice presets to personalize your stream output
Razer Seiren Elite
Sleek and Chic
Razer has proven itself as a giant in the gaming industry. The Seiren Elite is a high-quality streaming microphone that packs features which will make it appealing to aspiring live streamers. The sleek black microphone is compact and travel-friendly.
The Elite has a High-Pass Filter toggle, which is intended to allow the mic to filter out low-frequency noises, such as the AC and mouse clicks hum. I noticed that there is a LED peaking indicator around the mic which glows in red to indicate if you are being too loud. There is also a built-in limiter minimizing distortion. Razer’s mic even comes with a pop-filter, and that is something you usually buy separately, so hooray for a freebie!
The Razer Seiren has 4 different recording patterns: cardioid for voice recording, stereo for vocals, omnidirectional for background sounds, and bidirectional for conversational purposes. Seiren’s recording quality is excellent. It does a fabulous job of catching the sound and the output is extremely nice.
- Professional Grade - Single dynamic capsule ensures minimal electronic interference for a richer, warmer and true to life broadcasting experience
- Built in High-Pass Filter - Cuts out unwanted low-frequency vibrations (footsteps or the rumbles of an air conditioner) to provide only the cleanest recording signals
- Digital/Analog Vocal Limiter
- 16-bit/48kHZ Resolution
- Zero Latency Monitoring
Samson G-Track Pro
Robust and High-Quality Mic
G-Track Pro is an exceptional and solid piece. When I laid my hands on it for the first time, I associated it with an iron keg of some sorts. The frame material is die-cast zinc, so no shoddy plastic in sight. I find the little desktop stand absolutely fantastic. Its design is minimalistic in a very sweet and lovable way. The buttons are of good quality and leave me with the impression that this purchase will be a long-term investment. You will get your money’s worth. While recording, I noticed no lags.
The whole USB mic thing has become a steady trend, and it stayed faithful to its user-friendly promise. No driver installation needed, just plug it in and it will only take a few seconds to be recognized.
Vocals sounded well-balanced and stayed firm, no muddy noises. The G‑Track Pro provides a dependable mic for a sound price. I’d recommend a pop-filter for vocal recording, as this is an extra accessory which does not come along with the main unit. I also noticed the volume is somewhat lacking, as it did not appear that loud even with the volume maxed out.
The G‑Track Pro is an excellent recording solution and well designed to suit your streaming needs. Plus, the chic black color that Samson picked adds to this mic’s charm and therefore it gains my approval.
- OFFERS 3 PICKUP PATTERN - You get three different polar patterns with the Samson G-Track Pro USB Microphone. Choose the omnidirectional setting to reproduce sounds coming from all directions including off-axis.
- PROVIDES DIRECT MONITORING - Thanks to the built-in stereo 1/8" headphone output, the Samson G-Track Pro delivers zero-latency monitoring.
- RECORDS VOCALS AND INSTRUMENTS AT THE SAME TIME - The built-in audio interface lets you connect your bass/electric guitar, drum machine, and keyboards to the G-Track Pro.
- COMES WITH BLUCOIL EXCLUSIVES
- INCLUDES - Samson G-Track Pro USB Microphone
Cyber Acoustics CVL-2004
Power and Budget at Its Finest
Props to the Cyber Acoustics team for adopting a holistic design approach in building this microphone and still managing to have it look classy in the end despite its simplicity. Everything seems to have been thought of in the process – starting with appearance and going all the way to performance. Budget-wise it won’t leave you bankrupt, especially considering that this mic could be easily associated with upscale models. There is something about it that boosts my confidence and pushes any doubts that it might disappoint away.
Condenser microphones are great for podcasting, streaming and vocal recordings, to name a few. If you are looking for a condenser microphone the Cyber Acoustics CVL-2004 is a strong contender that shouldn’t be ignored.
I’m quite skeptical with the height of the mic as the stand that comes with it is pretty short. Low positioning could lead to occasional bumps and table knocks easily heard and picked up. To avoid this possible obstacle a full-size microphone mount would have been a better set-up choice.
The sound is clear thanks to the cardioid pick up pattern. The CVL-2004 is a fresh and valuable addition to the USB microphone market. Though it might not be a technological breakthrough, the features and quality it brought to the table are real.
- Aluminum die-cast construction
- USB connection
- Adjustable desk stand
- LED power indicator
- HASSLE FREE 1 Year Warranty: comes with USB 1.5m cable
Blue Yeti USB Microphone
The All-rounder Blue Blood of Streaming
The Blue Yeti is still the reigning royalty of versatility. A budget-hero equipped with cardioid, stereo, omnidirectional and bidirectional modes, this microphone will fit your set-up like a glove.
The Blue Yeti is a great choice for all of you who have their priorities topped by fuss-free usage without consuming hours tweaking audio frameworks. Quality-wise, it sounded clear and rounded throughout my test. In my opinion it will be in your best interest to buy a pop-filter for optimum results.
The sound quality of the Yeti is lovely for a USB microphone. It is also noteworthy that this mic accurately captures voice. I have noticed soft hum noise from my AC is being picked up as well. Thankfully the cardioid polar pattern setting did the trick in eliminating the noise
For podcasts and streaming purposes, the Blue Yeti is perfect and you can use it anywhere. Sound quality is also crystal clear, crisp and no noticeable jitters. I believe it’s an excellent purchase decision for someone looking for a simple set-up without compromising a certain level of sound quality.
- Custom three-capsule array
- Blue VO!CE software
- Four pickup patterns: Flexible cardioid, omni, bidirectional, and stereo pickup patterns allow you to record in ways that would normally require multiple mics, for vocals, instruments and podcasts
- Onboard audio controls: Headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute, and mic gain put you in charge of every level of the audio recording and streaming process
- Positionable design: Pivot the mic in relation to the sound source to optimize your sound quality thanks to the adjustable desktop stand and track your voice in real time with no-latency monitoring
Acoustic panels are soundproofing foam pieces. These will help shield your mic from external noises while recording. Consider investing in installing them.
- High NRC Rated Core .95 or higher avg.
- Sturdy Cabinet grade wood Inner-frame and backing
- ASTM E84 Class A Fire Rated
- Installation Hardware Included
- Fast Turnaround
- Provides clearer, more enjoyable sound by effectively controlling unwanted reverb and echo.
- Superior sound absorption: NRC 1.0 out of 1.
- Attractive, textured fabric complements studios, auditoriums, and living spaces.
- Built to last with a solid wood internal frame that protects edges and corners from dents and damage.
- Furniture-quality design and workmanship. Handcrafted in the USA.
- PREMIUM QUALITY ACOUSTIC STUDIO FOAM - Each piece of foam comes uncompressed and in pristine condition, ready to install today! What you see in the photos is exactly what you get.
- GREAT FOR SPOT TREATING YOUR LISTENING ENVIRONMENT - For use in recording studios, control rooms, home studios, home entertainment theaters.
Another unquestionably crucial accessory is a pop or wind filter. These are the circular mesh pads you have seen in front of a microphone. They are used to block loud peaks in audio or most commonly known as pops that can occur during fast-moving air hitting the microphone.
- Clear Sound - Cut the post-production hassle of reducing pop sounds with our microphone pop filter.
- Strong - This mic pop filter has a flexible yet sturdy gooseneck holder to support the weight of the shield, allowing for a simple set-and-forget placement.
- Easy to Install - Clamp the bottom of the mic filter to a microphone (up to 1.75" thickness), adjust the gooseneck holder to fit between the mic and sound source, and record away.
- Multipurpose - The MPF-1 microphone filter can be used for singing, voiceovers, podcasts, vlogging, and anywhere else you need crisp, quality sound.
- Sound Necessity: If you’re a singer, vlogger, voiceover artist or podcast host, you want your voice to be heard.
- Cleaner Audio: This pop filter for microphones helps produce pristine sound quality by filtering pops, hisses and thuds.
- Double-Mesh: With a dual-layer mesh screen, the microphone pop filter won't stifle sound or diminish the quality of your voice.
- Adjustable Gooseneck: Mounted on a flexible and fully rotational arm. The microphone filter can accommodate any studio space, height or angle.
- Easy Installation: Designed for stable and ultra-secure mounting. Adjustable clasp can fit on surfaces up to 1.75”.
- Sound Necessity: If you’re a singer, vlogger, voiceover artist or podcast host, you want your voice to be heard.
- Advanced Pop Shield - The ZINGYOU PF-101 is a professional advanced pop filter for vocal applications.
- Curved Shield Design - Curved shield design ensures dry and clean vocal and voiceover tracks while attenuating external noise
- The Most Acoustically Transparent Windscreen - Based on the test of different microphone equipment, the vocal tracks show clearly that the ZINGYOU PF-101 achieves incredibly clear vocal tracks
- Easy to Assemble - The pop shield is a universal windscreen for use with any microphone. Simply clamp it to the mic stand and position where desired.
- Package and guarantee - 1*U-shape pop filter(the microphone is NOT included), and we promise 6 months warranty with this item.
This is more of a Pro-gear thing. If you are a true-blue audiophile who won’t settle for less, then investing in one of these would be a wise choice. You can have the ultimate control over your sounds and will be certain to deliver great results.
- Premium ultra low-noise, high headroom analog mixer
- 4 state-of-the-art XENYX Mic Preamps comparable to stand-alone boutique preamps
- Neo-classic "British" 3-band EQs for warm and musical sound
- Studio-grade 24-bit stereo FX processor with 100 awesome presets including reverb, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter and various multi-effects
- FX send control per channel for internal FX processor and/or as external send
- Four-channel audio mixer with built-in DSP processor
- Microphone + stereo line inputs
- Pan, aux, and eff controls on all channels
- Sealed rotary control knobs to resist dust and grime
- Ultra-musical 3-band EQ on all channels
- 6 channel stand-alone mixer with onboard SPX digital effects (no USB); 48V phantom power
- Featuring studio grade discrete class A D PRE amps with inverted Darlington circuit providing fat, natural sounding bass and smooth, soaring highs
- 3 band EQ and high pass filters give you maximum control and eliminate unwanted noise, resulting in a cleaner mix
- 1 Knob compressors allow easy control resulting in livelier guitars, punchier bass lines, a tighter snare and a cleaner vocal sound
A shock mount is used as mic cradle and will deter it from picking unwanted sounds caused by vibrations. These sounds are the results of you bumping your desk or even from tapping your keyboard louder than you should.
- Superior: Our mic shock mount is crafted with optimized suspension bands to shield your Blue Yeti from vibrations, shock pops, and distortions. Premium protection to keep you sounding like a pro.
- Durable: The robust, ultra-reinforced, noise isolating shock mount for Blue Yeti mics keeps your set up secure, & your audio uncompromised - so you can create crisp recordings with confidence.
- Attenuates noise, shock and vibration transmitted through mic stands, booms and mounts
- Compatible with 3/8"-16 and 5/8"-27 threaded stands
- Designed to be used with the following Audio-Technica models: AT2020, AT2020 USB, AT2035, AT2050, AT3035, AT3060
- Shock mount fits pencil mics 19-30mm in diameter
- Die-cast steel adapter with 5/8"-27 threads
- Angle adjustments will lock into place
This will provide more space to move your mic. Additionally, you will have more flexibility in terms of mic positioning. It will also prevent you from leaning into your microphone when speaking.
- Premium All-Tube, internal spring design
- Hidden channel Cable management
- Hand-tightened friction-hinges for smooth, quiet operation
- Designed for Yeti and other professional broadcast mics
- Compatible with all standard shock mounts
- Rugged Steel Construction Keeps Microphones Steady to Eliminate Vibration
- Supports up to 3.2 lbs. of Weight | Arm Extends 14” Horizontally and Vertically | The Arm Provides a Total Reach of 27.5”
- C-Clamp is Wide Enough to Fit on Surfaces up to 1.75” Thick | 3/8” Threading with Included 3/8” to 5/8” Adapter
- Knox Shock Mount is designed specifically for Blue Yeti and Yeti Pro microphones
- Reduces or eliminates vibrations and mechanical noise that can ruin audio recordings
- THE PERFECT POSITION FOR YOUR MIC: Achieving the perfect audio output and ideal positioning is easy with our suspension boom arm that is fully adjustable with 360° rotation and a two axis swivel mount.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Our boom arm supports up to 5 pounds using a 5/8th” copper thread making it compatible with just about every microphone, so you can use your favorite studio mic anytime.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Using high grade steel tubing allows everlasting strength that will provide you with years of usage!
What Is The Best Set-Up For Me?
You will love it if:
- You don’t want to spend too much and intended use does not involve anything extra fancy
- No elaborate set-up needed, and you can’t afford anything that would eat up too much space
Not for you if:
- You want superior quality
- You want some kind of configuration
Best recommended for the casual streamer who is doing it as a hobby mostly with no long-term objectives.
Desktop Microphone Set-up
You will love it if:
- You want high quality experience but affordability is a factor
- You want free configuration options
Not for you if:
- You are super budget-conscious and unwilling to make considerable investments
- You are prone to pushing and knocking down stuff on and off your desk, as this set-up will pick up everything
- You hate clutter, as this will take up desk space
Best recommended for the start-up streamer who is looking for a long-term solution and commitment.
You will love it if:
- Personalization is your thing and you are willing to make maximum use of configuration options
- You want a flexible unit which can be easily moved when idle.
Not for you if:
- You hate expensive stuff, as this the costliest set-up of them all
- You don’t have extra room available, your game station is small, and this mount is likely to disturb your zen environment
Best recommended for the aspiring professional streamer. You are ready to commit full-time and you will let nothing hold you back.
Factors to Consider in the Mic Selection Process
The most important factor when purchasing a microphone. Choose a mic that makes you sound like a champ. No throaty sound and muddy tones. Be aware if the mic picks up background noise or keyboard taps, these are very important.
Everyone’s battle station or gaming desk is unique. That makes setup requirements vary considerably, and therefore it is crucial for a microphone to fit and perform up to standard under the circumstances that you have established in your world. You will definitely need a great sounding mic providing flexibility to allow you stress- and trouble-free streaming and maintain a seasoned DJ image.
As a streamer your audience is your number one asset. They will be able to see your stuff and they will feel better if they see a good mic. Appearance matters. Any good-looking piece of equipment is certain to lead to high credibility meter readings. You will be spending a lot of time with your equipment so you might as well make looking at it worthwhile.
How much are you willing to spend? Find out how deep your wallet is and then find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Polar Patterns (Microphone Directionality)
- Unidirectional – Most commonly known as “cardioid” microphones. Unidirectional microphones only pick up sound from the front.
- Bidirectional – Bidirectional mics pick up sound from the front and the back part. If you plan to do podcasts or interviews then this would be a smart choice.
- Omnidirectional – These microphones will perform well regardless of which direction the sound is coming from. However, it will also pick up all the uncontrollable ambient noises such as dogs doing their thing, AC hum and the like.
Picking your mic is hard and all the additional and optional gear that comes with it will not make the selection process any easier. Take your time to determine your playing style and streaming system as precisely as possible. This will be the hard ground to step on when justifying your future purchase. When everything is set and done you should be having no regrets and be able to enjoy an easy and comfortable ride in the world of streaming.