Follow This Advice and Your Eyes Will Thank You
Last night I was playing with the squad, minding my own business. At some point, I felt this strange sensation of discomfort. I shook it off like a boss. But I kept blinking. I ignored it again and queued for another Apex Legends match. The nagging headache and dry eyes that came a few hours later meant simply “game over”. It became clear to me at that point that I’d fallen victim to an infamous foe. It’s a condition prevalent to gamers everywhere, the dreaded “eye strain”.
Our eyes are our most valuable gaming assets. Sadly, we take them for granted. We are aware of the load and stress our eyes sustain during play. We choose to ignore it. Honestly, are you willing to reduce your playtime to just a couple of hours a day?
According to The American Optometric Association, the longer we spend staring at our computer screens, the more severe the symptoms are. That is why protecting our eyes and living the healthy gamer lifestyle is crucial.
What Is Eye Strain?
Eye strain is a common condition caused by your eyes getting exhausted from excessive use. Examples of such use include driving long distances or staring at your computer screens and other digital devices.
What Are The Symptoms?
There are tell-tale signs that you might be suffering from eye strain, such as:
- Sore, tired, burning or itching eyes
- Watery or dry eyes
- Blurred or double vision
- Soreness in neck, shoulders or back
- Sensitivity to light
- Hard time concentrating
- Struggling to keep your eyes open
Ways To Prevent Eye Strain
Good thing you don’t need to suffer in silence. Here are some tips that you can follow to alleviate the symptoms, and fight off eye strain for good.
1. Improve Lighting Conditions
It is common knowledge that playing in poor lighting is dangerous to our eyes. Hardcore gamers often experience eye strain related headache from playing in dark premises.
Know that, if the light is too bright, you strain and squint at the screen. If the light is too dark, then your eyes will be forced to work harder.
So how can we fix this? The first step is to survey your lighting situation. Make sure to keep the game room evenly lit to prevent screen glare.
You can use blinds, shades, and window coverings to control the amount of light during the daytime. You should also avoid fluorescent lights. As a substitute, opt for dimmable LED lights instead.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: Philips LED Dimmable B11 Light Bulbs uses 80% less energy than 40 Watt Incandescent Bulbs while maintaining the look and feel of a classic light bulb.
- LONG LASTING: These Philips LED bulbs last 10x longer than incandescent and 4x longer than halogen bulbs.
- SOFT WHITE: Philips LED Dimmable B11 light bulbs offer warm and comfortable lighting with high CRI (color rendering index).
- SMOOTH DIMMING: Philips dimmable LED bulbs are flicker-free, silent, and tested to work with more dimmer switches than any other LED bulb on the market.
- COMPATIBILITY: These Philips LED light bulbs fit in E12 candelabra bases. Not compatible with Philips HUE products. Philips LED Dimmable B11 light bulbs are for non connected use only.
- Easily switch between sheer and privacy with this modern and stylish dual combi shade
- FABRIC: Sheer or Privacy: 100% Polyester Yarn. SIZES: Width available in Every Inch Increment from 20" to 72" x 72”H
- PRE-CUT: The width includes a Half Inch deduction (industry standard); Valance Height: 3 3/8-inches
- The fabric is also shorter by an inch on both sides in order to accommodate the cordless mechanism
- MOUNT: Inside or outside mount (minimum 2.25-inch depth required for inside mount; 3.25-inch for flush inside mount).
- 2.ATTENTION PLEASE READ--We can customize blinds up to an 1/8th of an inch.If you can't find your blind size in the size list,please purchase the larger size nearest to your required one.For example,if 55"*43"size,you can purchase 57x47" instead.Then please let me know immediately the exact final size by Message within 5 hours after purchase.
- 3.What should you do after order?--Send me message within 5 hours about below detail for confirm: order ID,final size,color code,cord side.
- 4.Please allow 1-2cm difference due to manual blinds, and 9-11 workdays after updating the shipping tracking number.Online price only includes the product cost. The goods parcel may be imposed tax and customs clearance fee in customer’s country. The customer is responsible for these charges.
Creating lighting contrast with your monitor, by directing lights at different intensities in multiple directions, will also soften the strain. You can do this by placing a light source behind your monitor – a lamp or some LED strips.
2. Take Breaks From Your ‘Screen Time’
I know how focused you can be when things get heated up for your squad; concentration is also required while simply roaming around in Red Dead Redemption 2.
You could still keep your mind occupied with the game, but understand that countermeasures against eye fatigue are necessary. Looking away from the screen for a brief moment or two will alleviate eye strain.
Do this occasionally by focusing on an object at a distance. It will relax your eyes. For example, if you play multiplayer games, look away from the screen between matches. If you are playing a single player campaign, do this exercise during loading screens, or after every mission.
Remember, these few moments will benefit your overall eye health in the long run. Steal some time if you must; your eyes will appreciate the effort. Another tip is to install a piece of furniture or some random object that you can focus on during these breaks. Pick calming and soothing colors, such as light blue or green. Salmon pink is also a good choice for stress-relief effect.
- Ideal for both home and office use, this plant is 30" High & 17" Wide, mimicing the real plant with its 58 full leaves, but will never need water or sun.
- Printed on THICK GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER offered EXCLUSIVELY by US SELLER Poster Today USA!
- Collect Them All!
3. Use Gaming Glasses
Want to go the extra mile? Then wear some protective gear. For someone spending a lot of time gaming, investing in gaming glasses is a good call.
A lot of professional gamers such as League of Legends players Dyrus, Meteos, and Wildturtle wear protective glasses. These glasses help in filtering out the blue wavelengths released by monitors. They also reduce the amount of glare from the screen; treat them as your first line of defense.
- Durable acetate frame: The hand-cut, colored acetate frame is more durable and will retain its vibrant colors longer than painted polycarbonate frames.
- Dependable blue light and UV protection: Help reduce the effects of digital eye strain including headaches, blurred vision, and eye fatigue thanks to the blue light and UV protection of the premium nylon lenses.
- Crystal clear lenses: Clear, anti-reflective lenses provide true, vivid colors to deliver the intended gaming experience.
- Signature HyperX comfort: Built to be comfortable enough for all-day use with or without a headset.
- Versatile & stylish design with hard shell case: Protect your eyes while using digital devices in a wide range of settings. A hard shell carrying case and microfiber pouch are included for safe and secure transport.
- GUNNAR produces the only blue light blocking computer and gaming glasses with Patented Lens (#9417460)
- Unlike other blue light blocking glasses, GUNNAR developed the Blue Light Protection Factor, telling you exactly how much of the peak blue light spectrum (450nm) we're blocking.
- The preferred gaming glass for men and women, GUNNAR protects against symptoms stemming from prolonged screen-staring including migraines, headaches, dry eyes etc.
- SPECS (in mm) Lens Width: 57, Bridge: 18, Temple: 138, Weight: 26gm, Fit: Medium.
- GUNNAR gaming glasses enhance performance and provide a competitive edge.
- PREMIUM DAYTIME BLUE LIGHT BLOCKING GLASSES: The specialized virtually clear lenses in Day Swannies can block the most harmful part of blue light
- STAY PRODUCTIVE WITHOUT THE DIGITAL EYE STRAIN: More than just a stylish fit, Day Swannies are exclusively designed to help you avoid digital eye strain
- PAIRS PERFECTLY WITH OUR NIGHT SWANNIES: Day Swannies are designed more for digital eye strain protection than for sleep support, so we recommend switching to Night Swannies
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We’re so sure you’ll love your Swannies that we offer a 100% money-back guarantee within 30 days of purchase.
4. Eye drops to the rescue!
We can take all the extra safety measures, and eye irritation is still possible to happen. To be on the safe side, make sure that you keep some eye drops stashed at hand.
These drops alleviate symptoms of dryness caused by eye strain. There are over-the-counter eye drops that can be particularly helpful in such situations.
Taking eye vitamins is helpful too. However, make sure to go and see a doctor first before taking any medical supplements. Handle this with utmost care.
5. Don’t Neglect Eye Exercise
Sometimes when we are already “on-shift”, and our MMORPG grinds are on, there is no going back. I understand the struggle. There’s always a good excuse for some exercises the eyes will benefit from. The exercises may look silly at first, but your eyes will thank you; keep in mind that the long term objective is a better gaming experience and eye health.
These activities will improve the strength of your eyes and will help fight eye strain. See the below steps to up your “prevention” game:
- Look at a distance and imagine tracing a figure 8. It can strengthen eye muscles and increase flexibility. Repeat 5 times.
- Next step is focus switching. Do this by holding out your arm with your fist in a thumbs-up position. Relax and control your breathing. Extend one arm with a loose fist, with the thumb pointing up. Try to focus on your thumb.
- While keeping your eyes on at your thumb, slowly move it toward your nose until you can’t focus on it anymore.
- Pause for five relaxing breaths. Then return the arm to its original outstretched position, while focusing on the thumb. Repeat up to 10 times.
Another exercise that you can do is palming. Follow these steps to get the best results:
- Cup your hands over your eyes while your elbows are either located on a desk or placed on your knees.
- While in this position, focus on your breathing for several minutes. Thus you will allow your eyes to take a relaxing break.
6. Invest In A Quality Monitor
Aside from the steps mentioned above, there is one crucial thing that we tend to overlook.
Often we are not sure what to look for in a good gaming monitor. We miss important points or take wrong turns in the selection process. While most players usually focus on browsing for monitors with the lowest input lag or the best budget ones, they often seem to forget that getting the most ‘eye-friendly’ is just as important.
Top quality 1440p monitors are great for immersive gaming, and there are certain brands such as BenQ and Asus that offer panels with eye-care display options and IPS displays. These models emit less harmful blue light to your eyes and are designed to prevent future harm. Aside from the eye health benefits, you will also enjoy better picture quality and have a more satisfying experience.
- 1ms response time Featuring ASUS game Fast input technology and dual HDMI ports for a smooth console gaming experience
- ASUS Eye Care technology with flicker-free and blue light filter to minimize eye fatigue
- Ergonomic stand with full height/tilt/swivel/pivot adjustments to accommodate any desk
- Exclusive Game Visual & GAME plus functions to enhance color performance and control
- Free Sync/Adaptive Sync technology with 75 Hz refresh rate for a tear-free experience with AMD Radeon GPU
- Full HD Display: enjoy crisp Graphics with 1920x1080 resolution. OS Compatibility- Windows 7,Windows 8,Windows 8.1Windows 10
- VA LED panel: high Native contrast ratio of 3000:1 for depth and Definition and 178°/178° wide viewing angle
- Low Blue light technology: four preset Low Blue light modes to choose for your viewing comfort
- Wide color gamut: exceeds conventional 72% NTSC coverage rate for better color reproduction
- Edge to edge (e2e) slim bezel design: minimize distractions and create a multi-panel configuration with ultra-slim bezel monitors
- 27 inch WQHD (2560x1440) IPS panel with 165Hz refresh rate (supports 144Hz) full sRGB gamut for immersive life like color in games, movies, and design
- Thin bezel design brings out the best balance of screen size and resolution for gaming
- NVIDIA G SYNC technology removes stutter and screen tearing for the smoothest gaming experience with NVIDIA G SYNC Processor
- ASUS Eye Care technology enables low blue light mode and flicker free panels for marathon gaming comfort
- Flexible connectivity options with DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4 and 2 x USB 3.0 ports
7. Get A Comprehensive Eye Exam
Prevention is the best cure.
Say, you followed all the above steps. Getting professional help should still be your topmost priority. The optimum way for you to prevent and treat vision impairments is to see an eye doctor regularly. If you have an active digital lifestyle, then it is a must to have your comprehensive checkups. Visiting your healthcare professional once every six months may stop hidden problems from progressing, and will result in better eye wellness.
Eye strain is annoying and will significantly affect your gaming performance. It is undeniably detrimental to your overall eye health. Making time and investing in eye care is of particular importance to us, gamers. We only have a pair of these amazing peepers, so we better take good care of them. After all, what would you rather have – ice cream or eye scream?