The witching month is upon us but instead of talking about the black cat superstitions, we, at RealGear decided to bring to your attention the best horror video games that will keep you terrified for the months to come. Check out the superb titles you should not try with the lights turned off.
Friday the 13th: The Game
No horror video game list can pretend comprehensiveness without Friday the 13th: The Game. The latter had quite a rocky launch and the developer had to issue a number of patches and hotfixes to remedy the situation. Anyway, against all odds, Friday the 13th: The Game turned into a megahit. What is more, the physical edition of the game hits the stores today, Friday 13. If you have never taken e role as Jason Voorhees and Camp Crystal Lake counselors, today is the best day to make up for this omission.
Friday the 13th: The Game is a third-person asymmetric multiplayer game. The game action is set in the mid-80s. One needs to bring seven friends to play it. One of the players controls Jason Voorhees and the remaining seven control the camp counselors.
Jason’s objective is to kill as many counselors as possible, while the objective of the players who control the counselors is to escape from the camp or to manage to survive until time runs out on the session. The game developer was planning to add a single player mode this summer, but it has been put off until a later date.
- 1v7 Multiplayer: With maps spanning multiple iconic locations from the movie franchise; play online as either Jason Voorhees or a Camp Counselor trying to survive the night. The choice is yours!
- Killer Variety: Play as various incarnations of Jason Voorhees as depicted in the films. Each Jason has been hand-crafted with specific Strengths, Weaknesses, and exclusive brutal kills!
- Authentic to the Franchise: The game draws expertise from horror icons including Sean S. Cunningham, Tom Savini, composer Harry Manfredini and Kane Hodder.
Dead by Daylight
Dead by Daylight is yet another asymmetric survival horror video game, and according to players, it bears resemblance to Friday the 13th: The Game. (Maybe Friday the 13th is similar to Dead by Daylight, depends on how you see it).
Anyway, Dead by daylight is a game that will keep you on the edge of your seat for quite some time and you will hear your blood rushing through your veins. It offers a fast-paced game action and it is playable across all platforms.
To be able to play Dead by Daylight, you need three teammates. The game plot is themed around a group of up to four Survivors doing their best to avoid the Killer. They are trapped in a sadistic alternate world by Entity. To make their daring escape, Survivors need to work together and repair generators. Killers, on the other hand, have some special powers and use weapons such as beartraps and chainsaws.
Back in September, the game added Leatherface from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He is a brutal, infamous killer whose arrival was well accepted by existing players. Rumor has it that Freddy Krueger is the next DLC Dead by Daylight character. The game will support the upcoming Xbox One X, but developers have recently dashed players’ hopes for Nintendo Switch compatibility.
- Survive together...or not. Survivors can either cooperate with the others, or be selfish. Chances for survival depend on your decisions.
- Where am I? Each level is procedurally generated, so you'll never know what to expect. Random spawn points mean you'll never feel safe!
- A feast for killers - Dead by Daylight draws deom all corners of the horror world. Play anything from a powerful Slasher to a terrifying paranormal entity. Master each Killer's unique power to be able...
The Evil Within 2
Fans of horror video games have yet another reason to celebrate as today, Friday the 13, sees the release of the Evil Within 2. This is a survival game, published by Bethesda and famous for the terrifying twist of events that can scare the hell out of the bravest players.
The game takes place in a deadly environment called a STEM world. The settings and enemies are created based off nightmares and memories. Judging from the promotional content, the Evil Within 2 offers plenty of ruthless kills that can make gamers trembling with fear.
- Story of Redemption - Return to the nightmare to win back your life and your daughter
- Discover Horrifying Domains - Explore as far or quickly as you dare, but prepare wisely
- Face Disturbing Enemies - Survive encounters with sadistic enemies and twisted creatures
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is the latest title from the Resident Evil series. The title is developed by the pioneer Capcom and it would not be excessive to say that it can scare even the horror games veterans. If you have the guts to try it, you need to know that the most important characters are Ethan Winters, Mia Winters, Jack Baker, Marguerite Baker, Lucas Baker, Zoe Baker, Grandma, and Eveline.
Players will find themselves on the Baker estate in an attempt to solve different puzzles, passageways, and threats and deal with tense situations while anticipating death around every corner.
- Delivers an experience reminiscent of the series' signature gameplay including exploration, puzzles and realistic tense atmosphere for players to encounter
- Complete refresh of the gameplay system to propel the survival horror experience to the next level
- A new shift for the series to first person view brings the terrifying horror directly up close and personal
If you want the most frightening experience possible, you should totally give Doom a try. The game has been around for quite some time and although the graphic violence and the satanic imagery has sparked a controversy, it is considered one of the best first-person shooters ever.
The game was originally launched in the early 90s and since then, it has received numerous expansion packs and launched across multiple platforms. It is also slated to receive a Nintendo Switch compatibility in the coming weeks.
Doom is a mixture of science fiction and horror. The central gameplay element are the 10 types of enemy monsters. Players assume the role of marines who fight hordes of invading demons from Hell. They have to overcome different challenges taking the shape of monsters, pits of radioactive waste, ceilings that can potentially crush them, and find the keys to locked doors and make it to the next area.
Doom is available in single-player mode, co-op mode, and deathmatch mode.
- A Relentless Campaign: There is no taking cover or stopping to regenerate health as you beat back Hell's raging demon hordes
- Return of id Multiplayer: Dominate your opponents in DOOM's signature, fast-paced arena-style combat
- Near-Limitless Gameplay: DOOM SnapMap - A powerful, but easy-to-use game and level editor that allows for limitless gameplay experiences on every platform
In case you are looking for a game that involves a plethora of stomach-sinking moments, give the Bloodborne a shot. It is a sequel to Dark Souls 2 and it is a hellish game that many players regard as a deviation from the traditional action RPG games.
In Bloodborne, you are a lone warrior who wakes up in a town where everyone, who has not been shuttered away, is infected by a lethal disease. People will speak to you behind closed doors and those you meet will try to kill you. Some of the enemies are not terrifying because of their size or abilities, but because of the sounds they make. After playing Bloodborne for a while, you will find out that your patience is a price worth paying.
- A Terrifying New World: Journey to a horror-filled gothic city where deranged mobs and nightmarish creatures lurk around every corner.
- Strategic Action Combat: Armed with a unique arsenal of weaponry, including guns and saw cleavers, you'll need wits, strategy and reflexes to take down the agile and intelligent enemies that guard the...
- A New Generation of Action RPG: Stunningly detailed gothic environments, atmospheric lighting, and advanced new online experiences showcase the power and prowess of the PlayStation 4 system.
The Outlast trinity contains the original Outlast, the Outlast Whistleblower, and the Outlast 2. If you are willing to try it, you should prepare for a wealth of twisted terror.
The Outlast 2 will take you on a journey into the depths of the human mind and you will reveal its darkest secrets. Blake Langermann and his wife Lynn take enormous risks and investigate stories nobody else dares to dig into. Once you spend a few hours playing the game, you will come to terms with the fact that going mad is probably the only sane thing to do.
The original Outlast will take you to the Colorado mountains where horrors wait for you inside Mount Massive Asylum. You will find out that there is a thin line between religion, science, and nature.
In the Outlast Whistleblower, players take the role of Wayton Park, a software engineer under contract with Murkoff. The Whistleblower DLC tells the story before and after the events of Outlast and it is the final chapter in Mount Massive Asylum’s story.
- Outlast is a first-person survival horror series developed by Red Barrels.
- You are Blake Langermann, a cameraman working with your wife, Lynn. The two of you are investigative journalists willing to take risks and dig deep to uncover the stories no one else will dare touch.
- Outlast was released in Sept 2013. It has 4M+ downloads with an 80% MetaCritic. Over 50M YouTube views have been generated by gameplay walkthroughs.
The RealGear team wishes you a safe Friday the 13th and spooky Halloween.