Game Safely, Drink Responsibly
That moment when you watch your full glass getting knocked over in the immediate proximity of your peripherals, and it all happens in slow motion with you being totally helpless. There goes your keyboard, all covered and sizzling with an ice cube on top just for good measure.
That has to go down as a casualty.
This story hits close to home, and we’ve all fallen victims to spilled drinks. Press “F” for respect and remember our electronics gone. Pain and drama.
To right the wrongs in such particular cases, I have listed the best gaming keyboards that can survive the occasional splash fest.
Table of Contents
Your Heavy-Duty Keyboard Partner
Corsair gaming keyboards are known for their quality, and this one is no exception. The Corsair K68 RGB has a simple, yet refined design. The keyboard feels amazingly firm with keys built to last. Personally, I think the cable is thicker than what I have experienced with other units. It seems that Corsair became a little obsessed with reinforcement to an extent where even the USB connection is somewhat dramatically plated.
The main advantage of the K68 RGB to justify its selling point is its water resistance. What the Corsair team did to bring this to life is they had the key switches encompassed with rubber housings. The RGB lights are also placed under the same translucent wrap.
This keyboard has the standard keys and numpad. The Corsair K68 RGB has volume and media playback controls and a backlighting button. Corsair has stayed on the same page as fellow gamers and added the gamer-friendly button that can disable the Windows key, so you don’t get to kill yourself in-game by accidentally pressing it. Credit where it’s due.
During my testing, no glitches were encountered. I observed no keys getting triggered after I’ve let off. From my playing sessions, the full N-key rollover and anti-ghosting have proven smooth operation. All in all, I recorded no misfire on my end.
The Corsair K68 RGB is undoubtedly a high-end mechanical gaming keyboard. The water-resistant design that can withstand the occasional drink spill disaster only adds to that top-flight status.
- 100% Cherry MX Red key switches: gold contact Cherry MX mechanical gaming key switches deliver the ultimate competitive advantage
- Dust and spill resistant: Help protect from accidents so your game never stops. Wired connectivity: USB 2.0 Type-A
- 100% anti-ghosting with full key rollover: No matter how fast your in-game actions are, every key press registers correctly
Membrane Keyboard! Yay or Nay?
The Logitech G213 is like a gaming keyboard on a mission to deliver premium features without lightening your wallet. Honestly, it is quite the package, with RGB backlit keys, media controls, and spill proof design.
I hate to break it to you, but there is a catch – it’s not a mechanical keyboard. Gasp! Instead, it has membrane switches that have been ‘tuned’ for gaming peeps, according to Logitech. Being the natural skeptic that I am, I had to naturally subject it to testing. I must admit, it’s not half as bad as I thought it would be.
The G213 is a full-sized keyboard which will surely make it a bulkier fellow. This is due to the non-detachable wrist-rest on the keyboard.
The best feature of this keyboard is water-resistance. Though taking a bath with it would be too extreme, Logitech still claims that its product will withstand liquid spills up to 60ml.
If you are after mechanical switches, I’d suggest checking out the Corsair K68 RGB for the best gaming experience possible plus the anti-spill shield. This is a decent value for money keyboard overall. For a non-mechanical keyboard, the switches are crisp, and no hitches were encountered during testing.
- Prodigy Series Logitech G keyboard for advanced gaming-grade performance up to 4x faster than standard keyboards so every keypress is near instantaneous from fingers to screen
- Brilliant Color Spectrum Illumination lets you easily personalize up to 5 lighting zones from over 16.8 million colors to match your style and gaming gear
- Tactile performance keys tuned for gaming with responsive and more. LCD Display: No
At this point, Razer is an institution in gaming and has assembled some of the best gaming keyboards on the market. This can be credited to always striving for excellent craftsmanship and never getting out of touch with the gaming community.
The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate goes for simplicity. It uses Razer’s trademark switches with pure green LEDs and no extra buttons. A product is usually considered successful if it manages to support the frail balance between cost-effectiveness, features, value and performance. In the case of the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate aims for the top of the league performance-wise. And as if to make their flight upwards more aerodynamic the manufacturers have opted for no add-ons, no excessive parts, nor any other shockers.
You’re looking at a great keyboard without anything fancy to spoil the view – superb switches, spill-proof, and designed in a minimalistic fashion. The BlackWidow Ultimate is good at what it does and deserves a place in any gamer’s shortlist.
- Multi-Award winning Razer Mechanical Switches - Razer Orange Switch with tactile bump for the best overall silent gaming performance
- Extreme Durability - Razer mechanical switches are rated up to 80 million keystrokes and come with a 2-year warranty
- Individually programmable Razer Green backlit key with dynamic lighting effects
Play Safe Without Paying Premium
The Redragon K557 is a detachable mechanical gaming keyboard. I must confess that Redragon has produced a fantastic keyboard of great build quality while at the same time maintaining budget friendly levels.
This keyboard is mechanical, and it is noteworthy that it is a bit louder than its competitors. The switches are responsive and not hard to press. The Redragon K557 is full RGB. What has really made this keyboard stand out is its being spill-proof. It is a budget keyboard, and yet it managed to impress me.
Skip this one if you’re after a premium class keyboard. However, the Redragon K557 is a keyboard that will function well and will be capable of avoiding death by liquids. That is a good servant.
- Anti-ghosting 104 keys RGB mechanical keyboard. N-KEY ROLLOVER: it allows you to simultaneously click multiple keys. The floating keys and Redragon blue switch will give you a great gaming experience...
- Durability: 50 million times keystroke test, small actuation force and short travel make it more durable. Special Double-shot injection molded keycaps never fade Key color. The ABS keys and metal base...
- Cool RGB backlight: 6 backlight themes and 18 backlight models allow you to type in the dark. You can adjust its brightness with FN + Up/Down. Arrow Key in any non-breathing mode.
Quality Tested, Performance Trusted
SteelSeries is well known for high-end gaming peripherals, as it has been in the industry for quite some time now. This tech giant is showing no signs of slowing down, and top-notch gaming products keep appearing on the market.
Mechanical keyboards have always been a thing in gaming, but it seems that the Apex 150 Steelseries is not jumping the bandwagon for this one. The Apex 150 is a keyboard with membrane switches that is geared for silent gaming sessions.
The Apex 150 has a plastic body with a matte black frame and glossy accents. Despite its plastic design, it doesn’t feel cheap, and it looks sturdy. The keys on the Apex 150 are responsive and crisp, and they don’t feel muddy. For a membrane keyboard, it has a tactile feel to it and comes as a bit of surprise.
However, the lack of dedicated keys for media and macros as well as no USB passthrough or wrist rest, might be unappealing to some gamers. But this keyboard is spill-proof and that is some value for your money right there.
To wrap it all up, the Apex 150 is a good buy. Great keys and software customization options make the Apex 150 am an ideal choice for budget-wiz gamers.
- Ultra fast reaction times, tactile feel, and quiet operation
- Splash resistant to everyday spills
- Guaranteed 20 million click lifespan for lifelong durability
With great snacking comes great responsibility. You need to eat and drink to survive, and since you spent a ridiculous number of hours gaming that implicates some hazards. Keep safe, game smart, prevent all possible damage and harm. Water resistance might be overlooked by some, but it could be a life-saver at times.