Ok guys, today we are going to lay to rest the myths surrounding the wireless active noise cancelling earbuds and see if they are worth the added expense.
According to a popular belief, the average earbuds cannot provide adequate sound quality, not to mention that they are notorious for breaking up too easily. I am sure that you have had similar experience and now you are looking for a pair of quality headphones capable of blocking the environmental noises so that you can focus solely on your music or job at hand.
Not all of us like wearing on-ear headphones while traveling to work, listening to a YouTube podcast on the subway, jogging in the park or working out in the gym. And this is where the wireless active noise cancelling earbuds come in. Below, you will find the best wireless in-ear headphones that pair to your mobile device via Bluetooth. If you want to cut the cord and enjoy complete privacy, the models below are worth your while.
Table of Contents
- Best Wireless Earbuds with Active Noise Cancelling
- Best Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones Under $100
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Wireless Earbuds with Active Noise Cancelling
Bose QuietControl 30 Noise Cancelling Wireless Earbuds Review
I admit that owning a pair of Bose-branded headphones has made me a bit picky and it is challenging to find a model that is on par with the fascinating sound and design of my QuietComfort 35 earphones. Well, this time around, I would like to bring to your attention the Bose QuietControl 30 earbuds that are pretty close to my notion of good in-ear headphones.
The earbuds are well built, the ANC functionality works great, and their sweatproof capabilities reserve them a spot in your gym bag. If you are fine with having a neckband around your neck while running, going to the gym or performing any other activity, the QuietComfort 30 earbuds are a safe bet.
So why these earbuds have “QuietControl” in their name? Is that a fancy gimmick or a feature you can take advantage of? The “QuietControl” refers to the option to adjust the active noise cancelling feature as you wish. You can raise it to the highest level if you do not want to hear anything but your music, decrease it if you are on a busy street and you want to be wary of the traffic or turn it off completely. It is entirely up to you.
The earbuds have Bose’s proprietary StayHear and ship with three different sizes of ear tips. Although they stay a bit loose, they do not fall off your ears.
The battery life is approximately 10 hours. Some manufacturers go an extra mile in using a battery that allows 15 or even 20 hours of use, but these models have some other disadvantages.
Speaking of Bose QuietControl 30 pitfalls, I wish it had a wired option, so you can plug the earbuds into an airline entertainment system, but we have what we have.
I had to compare the QuietControl 30 to other Bose models, I have to point that they are similar in audio quality to the SoundSport Wireless. They leak a pleasing to the ear, rich, textured sound that allows you to hear every subtle tone of the track you are listening to.
In addition, the QuietControl 30 have an option that enables you to hear your voice while talking and raise/ lower your voice if necessary.
To sum up, the QuietControl 30 wireless earbuds are an improved version of the SoundSport wireless but they have a great ANC function as well as improved battery life.
- Breakthrough technology lets you control your own level of noise cancellation throughout your day
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing so you can connect to your devices wirelessly. Bluetooth range: 10 m
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system helps reduce the noise around you to deliver clearer calls
Bose QuietControl 30 vs Bose SoundSport Wireless
Audio Technica ATH-ANC40BT QuietPoint Noise Cancelling Earbuds
Audio Technica has designed the ATH-ANC40BT QuietPoint earbuds down to the last detail to make them a top choice of users who are constantly on the go. Despite carrying a bit steep price tag, the ATH-ANC40BT model is worth every penny and I am positive that when you put the earbuds on, you will feel like this is the first time you listen to your favorite tracks. The earbuds enable you to find some subtle tones that make the songs even more fascinating.
Audio Technica took the active noise cancelling technology one step further by integrating the so-called QuietPoint technology that blocks up to 90% of the external noise. Some newcomer brands struggle to release decent earbuds with active noise cancellation and a sensible price tag, but the truth is that none of them can compete with the ATH-ANC40BT QuietPoint capabilities as far as the ANC is concerned.
The ATH-ANC40BT neckband houses the microphone, the batteries, as well as the noise cancelling hardware and volume controls. Аt a first glance the design seems a bit weird, but actually, it is well-thought-out. The hardware lies on your shoulders while making the earbuds exceptionally lightweight.
The earbuds also have aptX and Bluetooth3.0 and they can remember up to 8 devices. The Bluetooth 3.0 technology itself allows you to pair up to two devices simultaneously.
The ATH-ANC40BT model comes with a rechargeable battery that delivers up to 8 hours of uninterrupted use. If you want to prolong the battery life, switch off the Bluetooth and use them as a wired device.
The best of all is that the ANC works in a wired mode and even if you pause your music, the ANC function is still working. Although the statement that the ATH-ANC40BT block up to 90% of the environmental noise sounds a bit exaggerated, the earbuds do great in helping you ignore the noises and enjoy excellent sound clarity.
- Quiet Point active noise-cancelling technology reduces environmental noise by up to 90%. Connectivity Technology: Wired/Wireless
- Reliable Bluetooth wireless technology with in-line mic and controls for answering/ending calls, controlling music & video playback and adjusting volume on Bluetooth wireless devices
- 13.5 mm drivers offer a premium listening experience
Jabra Evolve 75e Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Earphones
I have lost count of the peripherals I have tested and all my tests led me to a point where I can state that a perfect item of hardware is yet to be crafted. Each piece of merch has its own pros and cons but still, the wide variety of devices gives you the chance to find the one that best suits your needs.
Speaking of wireless Bluetooth earbuds with ANC in particular, you can see that some models have a short battery life, others have a mediocre ANC, others look either too fragile or too cumbersome and what else. However, if I had to point one model that ticks all the right boxes and can be declared the perfect all-rounder, that would be the Jabra Evolve 75e. It costs a pretty penny but after the first two tracks you listen to, you will agree that this was one of the best things you spent money on.
The Evolve 75e that ensure stable connection at around 20-25 feet distance. The rubberized collar houses all controls including the micro USB charging port. The earbuds ship with EarGel ear tips of three different sizes as well as three ear wing sizes, so that you can tweak the earbuds to an extent that gives you the feeling that they have been designed exclusively for your ear shape.
The Evolve 75e has a decent battery life. A two-hour charge can get you through 13 hours of talking or 14 hours of listening to music.
The earbuds allow you to take phone calls, nothing special about that. However, they have a perk that makes them suitable not only for a casual chat with a friend but also for business purposes. Admit it that it would be somehow embarrassing to talk to your manager or a customer and they hear kids screaming, the dog barking or the loud car engine of your neighbor. The Jabra will spare you these awkward situations due to the three-microphone setup that almost eliminates the background voices. The microphone is Google assistant compatible, too.
As for the active noise cancelling feature, the Jabra uses 4 microphones that enable you to work in a complete privacy without being distracted by the coworkers chatting or the music coming out from the cubicle next to you.
And here is a little tip, you will thank me later. If you leave the ANC on, you will get incredibly clear and detailed sound as well as some solid bass power.
The Evolve 75e have magnetic clips. However, keep in mind that if you snap the earbuds together while you are talking to someone or listen to music, this will pause your music or end the call. The earbuds are also IP54 certified meaning that they are sweat – resistant and therefore suitable for intense gym sessions.
In a nutshell, I totally recommend the Jabra Evolve 75e as the best wireless active noise cancelling earbuds for universal use.
- Professional sound, the way you want to wear it. Skype certified powered by unique 3-microphone technology, with around-the-neck, wireless earbud design
- Work effectively, whatever the noise around you. Focus with Active Noise Cancellation, and an integrated busy light lets colleagues know you are not to be disturbed
- Talk and listen, all day long. Enjoy up to 14 hours of battery life, and fully charge the earbuds in just 2 hours
Best Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones Under $100
COWIN HE8D Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Review
A few months ago, Cowin released the E7 headphones that have quickly gained a reputation of a solid option in the sub $100 price category.
Soon after the E7 release, the company launched an upgraded PRO version as well as earbuds that basically have the same features as the headphones save for the fact that they are a wireless in-ear device.
The Cowin HE8D are wireless earbuds with active noise cancelling capabilities. They are feature-rich and lightweight at the same time. The HE8D earbuds have a straightforward design with black with silver accents.
As for the controls, the earbuds have buttons for Bluetooth connection and volume adjustment. The wire also houses a small charging attachment. The HE8D ship with a USB charger so you are enabled to charge them via your smartphone.
Now, let’s say a few words about the active noise cancelling feature. If you were looking for on-ear headphones with an ANC, you would have been spoilt for choice. However, when it comes to earbuds, capable of isolating the environmental noises, your options are considerably decreased. That being said, the Cowin HE8D is among the few earbud models offering adequate ANC. It is essential to note that you will not be able to turn the ANC off. It is constantly working behind the scenes blocking the ambient noise, no matter how high or low the volume is.
The earbuds are capable of cancelling noise up to 28db at 20Hz-2000Hz. That might sound great on paper but in very loud surroundings, you will still hear some ambient noise.
There is yet another spec that makes the HE8D earbuds stand out from the crowd and it is related to charging. You will find the charging port on the wire. It connects magnetically to the OTG Magnetic Charger. The latter has a micro USB attachment that basically allows you to charge the earbuds via your Android device. This is a convenient feature, but keep in mind that it will drain your smartphone battery. The earbuds ensure 10 hours of use in a single charge and you cannot go wired if the battery dies.
Apart from listening to music, you can also take phone calls as they have a built-in mic. The Bluetooth range is decent but for best performance, you’d better don’t leave the paired device more than 30 feet away.
The HE8D are designed with fitness enthusiasts in mind and they have a IPX4 rating. In other words, you cannot dive into the ocean with them, but they can withstand sweat and fizzy drink splashes.
The HE8D provide rich bass, crisp sounds and mind-blowing noise cancelling capabilities that make them super versatile. You use them for listening to music, audio books or take them to the gym.
Overall the earbuds are a good bang for the buck, although it would have been more convenient if they had a dedicated charger rather than a wire for charging.
Other than that, the Cowin HE8D are a good pair of earbuds that leave you under the impression that you use high-end on-ear headphones.
- UPGRADED ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING EARBUDS: Continuously improved noise reduction technology, significant for travel, work and anywhere. Advanced active noise reduction technology quells airplane cabin noise, city traffic or a busy office, makes you focus on what you want to hear, enjoy your music, movies and videos. durable.
- MAKE MUSIC MORE IN COMFORT: In-Ear Headphone Soft synthetic leather on the housing give a luxurious look and feel. Designed to fit securely over your ears for hours of comfortable listening. Earbuds have S,M & L optional sizes of eartips, included to fit different sizes of ear canals.
- TRUE HD HIGH FIDELITY SOUND: These headphones include a powerful 1.58" driver with Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) diaphragm for handling heavy beats, and can reproduce a full range of frequencies up to 40 kHz.
Linner NC50 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones
According to the manufacturer, the NC50 blocks up to 97% of the background noise and provides you with great comfort during prolonged use. The Linner NC50 ship with different sizes of ear wings and ear tips, so once you find the size that fits your ears, you will forget you are wearing them.
The rubber parts are sturdy, yet flexible and overall, the earbuds do not feel like yet another cheapo that you pick to use until you save up for a premium model.
The NC50 work in ANC mode and Monitor mode. Keep in mind that there is a dramatic volume difference between the two modes, though.
The NC50 battery gets completely drained in 12-13 hours if you do not use the ANC. If you choose to keep the ANC on, its life is shortened to 9 hours, but the good news is that the full recharge takes only 1.5-2 hours. Every time you turn the earbuds on, a pleasant voice notifies you about the battery level.
As we pointed in our previous review, one of the biggest NC50 pitfalls is that you cannot use them while they are charging.
The Bluetooth connection remains stable at around 10metres (33ft) provided that there are no obstacles (walls, floors) between the paired devices.
As far as the sound quality is concerned, the Linner NC50 would appeal to those of you looking for earbuds with punchy bass. The highs and mids are also good, although I did not find them superior to the models I have previously tested.
To cut a long story short, the Linner NC50 are the best all-rounder earbuds in the budget category. They leak pleasant sound, have a good battery life, possess a great active noise cancellation, ensure optimal comfort, and all that comes at a sensible price.
- Active Noise Cancelling: Hear what you want! active noise cancelling technology captures the ambient sound with microphones, processes the incoming sound waves and creates inverse waves to offset them, this reduce background noise up to 28 dB. Enjoy music without outside interference in ANC mode with our Bluetooth headphones.
- High Sound Quality and Bluetooth headphones - The stable signal noise cancelling headphones Bluetooth v4.1 enables professional sound cavity structure to provide mega bass and clear mid tones,the noise cancelling earbuds will bringing you a great music enjoyment.
- Comfortable to Wear - Ergonomic silicone ear tips of noise cancelling earbuds allow you listening to the music for a long time without pain perception and keep a long sense of comfort during the wear.Bluetooth headphones has 3 (S/M/L) optional sizes of eartips,then noise cancelling headphones fit different sizes of ear canals.
Meidong Bluetooth Headphones with ANC
Similar to Cowin HE8D, the Meidong employ OTG Magnetic Charging, so you can charge the earbuds via any mobile device or computer that allows USB connectivity. You don’t have to worry about draining your battery as the earbuds need only 3% of the phone juice to get fully charged.
The earbuds are lightweight, which makes them a great accessory for running. In addition, the ergonomic earplug design makes them comfortable for prolonged use. You can choose between three sizes and settle for the one that best fits your ears.
Meidong’s active noise cancelling capabilities are above average and the battery life is around 10 hours in a single charge. Just enough for a long flight across the pond.
- OTG MAGNETIC CHARGING: You can use any electronic device with USB interface to charge it, such as laptop, desktop computers, power bank, etc. Of course the headphones can be charged by all Android phones via micro USB. Full charge of the headphones just consumes 3% of the power of your phone. No need to worry about your phone out of power. Charged it without replacing battery.
- ACTIVE NOISE CONTROL: The headphones have the best built-in noise cancelling chipset AMS3421, which can reduce distracting ambient noises with a switch. You can enjoy your quiet personal world with pure music, away from the annoyance of the noise on the plane, the subway, and noisy sports area and the noise of traffic.
- ANC&BLUTTOOTH&MOTION: Active noise reduction, with Bluetooth 4.1+aptx, wireless sport headphones. Three features of the headphones. Headphones have good sound quality, beautiful appearance, lightweight body, and unique technology. This is very rare and out of the ordinary.
Mighty Rock HE8G Noise Cancelling Headphones
The Mighty Rock pair to your device via Bluetooth, ensure decent active noise cancellation, and do an excellent job in blocking the irritating noise on the subway, plane, or in the park. You can choose between different ear tip sizes, too.
Charging is possible via OTG (On the go) Magnetic charging. You can charge your earbuds via a smartphone and get 11hours of ANC, 6 hours of music or 60 days of standby. The built-in mic allows you to take calls.
The Mighty Rock earbuds are pretty similar to the Cowin HE8D in terms of design and specs, though. So, if I have to recommend a model, the HE8D won me over with a superior sound quality.
LEOPHILE ZERO Active Noise Bluetooth Headphones
I am sure that you guys have at least once been tempted to buy a replica of a famous brand and hope that it will work as flawlessly as the original. In most cases you find out that the “Cheap comes out expensive” but sometimes, you come across some notably rare exceptions such as the LEOPHILE ZERO earbuds.
Apart form the price, there were a few other features that made me consider testing them. You can use the active noise cancellation function without Bluetooth connection. In addition, the LEOPHILE ZERO can also be used in a wired mode via the USB cable you will find in the packaging.
I tested the earbuds in various scenarios – during my last flight to Chicago, at the office, on the street. I heard neither the airplane engine nor the noise of the air conditioner at the office, but I could hear my coworkers’ conversations as a distant mumbling.
The manufacturer claims that the battery ensures 20 hours of use in wireless mode, although mine got completely drained in 15 hours or so.
The left side of the LEOPHILE ZERO earbuds houses the volume control, as well as the buttons or pause/play, and skipping tracks. The ANC switch is right behind the basic buttons on the left.
To sum up, the ZERO earbuds are a great budget pick for your daily commute or frequent flights, but they are not sweatproof, which makes them unsuitable for gym goers.
- ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING NECKBAND HEADPHONES: ANC Neckband is best for long time wearing comfort with reduced in-ear pressure. Meanwhile reduce the influence of ambient noise from jet engines, machine and construction. Enjoy your music, movies or TV shows.
- DUAL MODE: Wired/Wireless switchable with the dedicated audio cable. Never have to worry about running out of power.
- SUPERIOR SOUNDS: Rich bass and clear vocals, Keep the sound of a classic with 20-hours continuous wireless usage.
Samsung Level U Pro ANC In-Ear Headphones Review
Another spec that gives them an edge over the competition is the availability of two-way speakers – a 13mm dynamic speaker and a 13mm piezo speaker, respectively. In addition, the Level U Pro ANC have two external microphones that significantly increase the ANC effectivity.
The Samsung Level U Pro ANC are sweat and splash resistant. The ergonomic neckband design and the hybrid canal ear tips ensure your comfort during long hours of use. They come with a magnetic clap, which minimizes the risk of losing them or tangling them.
The earbuds have the standard controls – buttons for volume adjustment, play/ pause/ track skipping, a button for answering calls. The Ultra High-Quality audio feature ensures crystal sound.
As a matter of fact, the Level U Pro ANC earbuds are not a big departure from the Level U Pro save for the two-way speakers that guarantee more balanced sound.
- Stylish, Lightweight Design. UHQA is compatible with select Samsung Galaxy devices
- Flexible Urethane Joints For A Comfortable Fit Bluetooth 4.1
- Built-in, Noise-canceling Microphone
Samsung Level U Pro vs Samsung Level U Pro ANC
Other Options to Consider
Frequently Asked Questions
Passive Noise Isolation vs. Active Noise Cancelation
The idea behind the passive noise isolation is the creation of a physical barrier between the ears and the surrounding sounds. The effectiveness of passive noise cancellation earbuds depends entirely on how good the earbuds sealing is.
The capabilities of the models with passive noise cancellation are quite limited. In most cases, they cannot adequately block noises louder than 20 decibels. In comparison, the sound of a plane engine, the passengers hear inside the cabin, is between 70dB and 80dB.
On the other hand, active noise cancellation enables you to ignore ambient noises without increasing the volume to unhealthy levels. Devices with ANC have a small microphone in the earpiece and it picks up ambient noises. The so-called noise cancelling circuitry creates a noise cancelling wave that does not allow the environmental noises get to you. High-quality ANC earbuds are capable of reducing the ambient noises by up to 90%.
How Does Noise Cancellation Work?
What is Ambient Sound?
The background sounds of your surroundings – wind, traffic, birds, office equipment, running water, voices, etc.
Is Noise Cancelling Safe?
The noise cancelling headphones do not pose any health hazards as they do not emit any potentially harmful emissions. As a matter of fact, the active noise cancellation makes it unnecessary to increase the volume to an extent when it causes a headache or hearing issues.
Are There any Good Smartphone Active Noise Cancelation Apps?
Nowadays there are apps for everything so there must be a good active noise canceling app that would, right? Nothing could be farther from the truth.
The main reasons why an active noise cancelling app would not be a viable solution are:
- There will be too much delay or latency
- The sound quality will be poor
- The app will be constantly running behind the scenes, which will result in a fast battery drain
In other words, for now, the in-ear/ over-ear headphones with ANC remain the best option for blocking surrounding sounds.
Some of the links on this page direct to a retail affiliate. RealGear may receive a commission from your purchase.