Your Portable Gaming and Multi-Media Machine
Portable gaming has a certain charm to it. Imagine you are stuck in public transport or waiting for your flight at a dull airport. Being able to whip out a portable gaming device is a delightful way to kill boredom.
You could use your smartphone, but you are smart, too, and you know better. Gaming tablets have more advantages compared to phones. The bigger screen and longer battery life will extend game time, and up the overall experience.
Finding the ultimate gaming tablet to fit your life(play)style is a matter of self-evaluation in the first place. Specifications – check. Budget – check. And then you inevitably crumble in doubt and anger caused by the infamous selection process.
What if there was a magic app to detect and process, the best available options? Well…
Table of Contents
- Asus Zenpad 3S 10 Z500M
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019)
- Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro
- iPad Pro 2018
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
- Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet
- Google Pixel C
- What To Look For In A Gaming Tablet?
- Mobile Gaming Accessories
Asus Zenpad 3S 10 Z500M
- OS: Android Marshmallow
- Screen size: 9.7-inch
- Resolution: 1536 x 2048
- CPU: Hexa-core (2×2.1 GHz Cortex-A72 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: PowerVR GX6250
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 32GB/64GB (microSD Card Slot Expandable Up to 256 GB)
- SIM – N/A
- Battery: 5,900mAh
- Rear camera: 8MP, Front camera: 5MP
The Asus ZenPad 3S 10 bears an uncanny resemblance to Apple’s iPad. Though it looks like an iOS device, it offers the flexibility of Android. The QHD (Quad HD) screen is amazing. The Asus ZenPad 3S 10 has a 9.7-inch 1536 x 2048 screen with good contrast and vivid colors. The large size makes it a straightforward choice when it comes to entertainment media on the go. I must give it to the Asus team – the ZenPad 3S 10 truly shines in this department.
As a gaming device, the ZenPad 3S 10 is a worthy contender. Games like Fast & Furious: Legacy, and Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, look amazing and run smoothly too.
During game testing, there were no framerate problems, and the screen really enhances the gaming experience. There is another feature that I like about the ZenPad 3S 10. This tablet has its own Game Manager application. This app will automatically pop up when playing. Using the app will free RAM to improve gaming performance. You can also connect to your YouTube or Twitch account to live-stream your gameplay.
- 9.7in 2K IPS Display (2048 x 1536) with ASUS TruVivid technology for better visual experience and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 cover glass for tougher and more damage resistant protection.
- Powerful dual Core ARM Cortex 2.1 GHz combined with quad Core ARM Cortex 1.7 GHz, 64 bit MediaTek processor. 10 hours Battery Life
- Easily handle games and speed up productivity with super-fast hexa-core processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage and IMG GX6250 graphics.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019)
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie
- Screen size: 10.1 inches
- Resolution: 1920×1200 pixels
- CPU: Octa Core (Dual 1.8GB + Hexa 1.6GHz) Lassen O+ (Exynos 7904A)
- GPU: Mali-G71 MP2
- RAM: 2 GB
- Storage: 32GB / 64GB / 128GB (microSD Card Slot Expandable Up to 512 GB)
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Battery: 6,150mAh
- Front camera: 5MP, Rear camera: 8MP
The Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) is an entry-level tablet. Its design and flair, however, are a great showcase of craftsmanship. Samsung Tab A is made of aluminum and not some cheap plastic. Frame build is very good and super durable.
Samsung has retrofitted this tablet with a TFT (thin-film-transistor) display, with a resolution of 1,900 x 1,200 pixels. Though not as good as AMOLED displays, this tablet has been equipped with an outdoor mode. So, whenever you are in the open with sunlight blazing, you can still enjoy your game.
I like how it supports longer gaming sessions and Netflix marathons. With its 6,150mAh battery, you are sure to have extended usage.In my gaming test, I was quite satisfied. When I played some PUBG Mobile with medium graphics, the game still ran very smoothly. I even tried to set the graphics to HD, but in this configuration, I noticed some stuttering in-between frames. It is not prevalent; however, some occasional FPS drops are to be expected. I also tried playing different games, such as Dead Trigger 2, and it ran well in medium settings. Shadowgun Legends also ran great with medium settings, but pushing it further to high graphics will lead to slight stuttering in action-packed scenes. One more thing, Fortnite is not supported on this tablet.
- Minimal bezel; Maximum view; Watch, stream and browse on a 10.1 inch Full HD corner to corner Display; The lightweight premium metal design goes anywhere you go
- Big sound for big entertainment; The perfect complement to a wide, immersive picture, Dolby Atoms Surround sound fills the room with cinematic clarity
- Binge worthy Battery; Browse, watch Or shop for up to ten hours on a full charge
Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro
- OS: Android 5.1.1
- Screen size: 10.1-inch
- Resolution: 2560 x 1600
- CPU: Intel® Atom™ x 5-Z8500 Processor (2M Cache, Quad Core™, Up to 2.24 GHz)
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage: 16GB/32GB (microSD Card Slot Expandable Up to 128 GB)
- SIM: Micro-SIM
- Battery: 10,200mAh
- Rear camera: 13MP, Front camera: 5MP
Once again, Lenovo did not disappoint and went with a solid, premium-build device. Though the Yoga Tab 3 is not what you would call lightweight, the quality and heft of this tablet are the real deal. At 667g, holding this tablet for long periods is not advisable. Good thing that a built-in kickstand is installed, so propping it up is a breeze.
One of its special features is a built-in projector. However, don’t expect too much from it. The Yoga Tab 3’s projector is not perfect. Picture quality is dim even in a dark room. But aside from its imperfections, this addition is cool.
For extended gaming and usage, Lenovo has furnished the Yoga Tab 3 Pro with a satisfying 10,200mAh battery. It seems that the chunky hinge and build is well worth it.
The Yoga Tab 3 Pro has a 10.1-inch QHD display. It is sharp, vivid, and accurate, perfect for all your multimedia activities. I also liked the tablet’s four-speaker soundbar that delivers powerful and clear audio.
Moving on to its gaming performance, the Yoga Tab 3 Pro is proficient in running pretty much anything from the Google Play Store. I tried running Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, and it was super smooth.
I like the positioning of the speakers. The design that has them facing front means you won’t inadvertently cover them while playing or when having the device laid in your lap.
- A big-screen android tablet optimized for entertainment; Dazzling display; JBL 4-speaker sound bar
- This 10 inch tablet is perfect for binge-watching TV and movies on-the-go.WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, with Bluetooth 4.0
- The 10.1" Full HD IPS crystal-clear display makes watching and playing even more fun
iPad Pro 2018
- OS: iOS 12, upgradable to iOS 12.3
- Screen size: 11-inch
- Resolution: 1668 x 2388
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.5 GHz Vortex + 4×1.6 GHz Tempest)
- GPU: Apple GPU (7-core graphics)
- RAM: 6 GB / 4 GB
- Storage: 1 TB, 6 GB RAM or 64/256/512 GB, 4 GB RAM
- SIM: Nano-SIM, Electronic SIM card (eSIM)
- Battery: 7,812 mAh
- Rear camera: 12MP, Front camera: 7MP
The iPad Pro 11-inch is designed, as the name implies, for professionals. Those in the creative line of work will love the power, precision, and extensive features that this tablet has to offer.
Apple has improved the 11-inch screen itself to a Liquid Retina display, which made its debut on the iPhone XR.
However, it doesn’t have the same remarkable effect that you will get from an OLED display. This kinda sucks, especially considering the huge price tag on this iPad Pro.
It is not OLED, but it is not a bad screen. Utilizing Apple’s TrueTone technology and the 120Hz refresh rate, the iPad Pro is a sight to behold. The quality and media experience are superb while HDR content is vibrant and detailed.
Like all the newest tech from Apple, I would like to remind you that the iPad Pro 11 doesn’t have a headphone jack. There are also no free headphones packed in the box. Undoubtedly, this is a premium media device, and with 1TB of storage, and a wide-color-gamut display panel, you would want to invest in some good earphones.
In terms of gaming performance, the iPad Pro 11 did not disappoint. This tablet is capable of console-level graphics. I played some Rival Gears Racing and GRID Autosport for graphics testing. With just these two games, the iPad Pro 11 has shown fine graphical capabilities. The great quality, reinforced by the large screen, is an absolute treat.
During my gaming session with the iPad Pro 11, aside from the good graphics, I also experienced a slick and smooth run of the applications.
- 11-Inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with Promotion true Tone, and wide Color
- A12X Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Face ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
- OS: Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
- Screen size: 10.5 inches
- Resolution: 1600 x 2560
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.35 GHz Kryo& 4×1.9 GHz Kryo)
- GPU: Adreno 540
- RAM: 6 GB
- Storage: 64/256 GB (microSD Card Slot Expandable Up to 1 TB)
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Battery: 7,300mAh
- Rear camera: 13 MP, Front camera: 8 MP
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 has pushed the tech further for Android tablets with their 2-in-1 desktop-like software.
Samsung upgraded this tablet with a 10.5-inch Super AMOLED display. The graphics are superb, clear, and very rich. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 doesn’t disappoint, because aside from the great graphical performance, it does also have excellent audio quality.
The DeX interface, which is Samsung’s extension of the Android N’s Multi-Window, is convenient for multitasking. Because of the good features, you might be concerned about battery life. Well, the Tab S4 supports Fast Charging. So, even if you don’t have enough time, you are still sure to charge up some juice.
Game performance-wise, I see some improvement from its predecessor, the Tab S3. To test its capabilities, I played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. The graphics were awesome, and the game ran pretty well. There is no drop in FPS, and the gameplay looks stunning. To push the tablet further, I whipped up some I, Gladiator action, and was impressed. My character moved fluidly, and the colors were vibrant and solid.
Though the speakers are loud and clear, there is no substitute for headphones. Not just because of immersion but also because you want to avoid public spaces noise pollution.
- Nano-SIM ; 3G WCDMA B1(2100) / B2(1900) / B4(AWS) / B5(850) / B8(900) ; 4G LTE B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B13 / B17 / B20 / B28 / B66 / B38 / B40 / B41. Device has the ability to...
- 10.5 inches, Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, Main Camera: 13 MP, AF ; Front Camera: 8 MP
- Octa-Core 2.35GHz, 1.9GHz CPU ; 64GB ROM, 4GB RAM ; Supports microSD, up to 400 GB (dedicated slot) ; 7300 mAh battery.
Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet
- OS: Android 5.0 (Lollipop), 6.0 (Marshmallow), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat)
- Screen size: 10.1 inches
- Resolution: 2560 x 1600
- CPU: Octa-core (4×1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A57)
- GPU: Adreno 430
- RAM: 3GB
- Storage: 32 GB (microSD Card Slot Expandable Up to 256 GB)
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Battery: 6,000 mAh
- Rear camera: 8.1 MP, Front camera: 5.1 MP
Sony’s design is great. Still, some users might find it a little bulky. However, the moment I picked up the Xperia Z4 Tablet, I was surprised it was lighter than its predecessors. Build-wise, the back of the Xperia Z4 isn’t as cheap looking, like previous generations. Sony used a high-end polycarbonate material. Despite not being as great as the iPad’s brushed metal, it still looks grand and sturdy.
I was not disappointed with the display either. Its 10.1-inch 2K display is doing its job very well. I watched a couple of videos, and the image was sharp, fluid, and vivid.
The Xperia Z4’s screen generates colors wonderfully. Whether you are gaming or Netflix binging, the image quality is awesome.
I was impressed by the tablet’s graphics performance, and its ability to run games. To further test the Z4, I tried playing some Nitro Nation Drag Racing, and Shadowgun. The environment and the gameplay were rendered smoothly. No lags or framerate issues observed in medium settings. The Xperia Z4 proved a tablet worth looking into.
Now, its gaming capabilities don’t end there. Sony included a feature that might even tempt gamers to switch from Apple tablets.
It is the PlayStation Remote Play. This feature enables those with a PS4 to connect over the same Wi-Fi network as the tablet and use it as a second screen.
It sounds exciting and awfully convenient, but some might not like the idea of their PlayStation still running at home unattended. Nevertheless, we can’t deny that this feature is super cool.
The prospect of you playing games on your PS4 running in your living room at home, while you are out, is amazing. Just make sure you have high-speed Internet because the lag would be unbearable.
- Keep going in all weather conditions with the extremely durable water- and dust-resistant design.
- Enjoy a best-in-class personal entertainment experience, featuring Hi-Res Audio, 10-inch 2K display, and powerful quad-core Snapdragon processing power for showcasing your movies, videos, music, and...
- Continue to play PS4 games away from your TV via your local Wi-Fi with PS4 Remote Play.
Google Pixel C
- OS: Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), upgradable to Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Screen size: 10.2 inches
- Resolution: 2560 x 1800
- CPU: Quad-core 1.9 GHz
- GPU: Nvidia Maxwell
- RAM: 3 GB
- Storage: 32 GB / 64 GB
- SIM: N/A
- Battery: 9,240 mAh
- Rear camera: 8 MP, Front camera: 2 MP
With a price tag to match its features, the Pixel C is a premium tablet. Aside from its performance, this tablet is also retrofitted in Anodized Aluminum. The result? Well, the Pixel C looks like an upscale bit of tech the moment you lay your eyes on it.
I like how the screen is enhanced with Low-Temperature PolySilicon technology. What is that? It is a feature meant to help the battery regulate consumption.
When testing the Pixel C’s multimedia performance, I can’t help but commend its pin-sharp precision and brilliant colors. It is evident that Google has ensured to put its specs where it matters. This can be seen on the screen, power, and battery.
The display is great and all that, but how well does it measure up in gaming?
Amazing as per my testing. The crystal-clear display, Tegra X1 processor, Maxwell GPU, and 3GB of RAM, do the Pixel C justice. This tablet is well outfitted for an enjoyable gaming session.
Games that I’ve tried on this tablet were Mortal Kombat X, N.O.V.A. 3: Freedom Edition, and Godfire: Rise of Prometheus.
During my gameplay loading screens was quick and the gameplay smooth. No framerate drops or a stutter; however, I noticed that my arms get tired after a long spree. This is to be expected given the weight.
What To Look For In A Gaming Tablet?
Before diving into gaming tablet shopping, there are a few major factors that you need to consider.
Tablet specs can be tricky to discern, so make sure to read the manufacturers’ data carefully. Things that you should look out for include the following:
More RAM often equalizes faster performance. It also means smooth multitasking, and no issues running heavy apps.
The mainframe of your tablet, the CPU. The higher the processing power, the more powerful the device is.
The Apple Store, and the Google Play Store and brimming with awesome apps. You can’t download them all without enough space. Make sure to pick one with adequate storage.
I suggest you bought a tablet that can run for no less than 7 hours on a single charge. This is your portable media device, and you would not want to get caught gaming with a dead bat.
OS (Operating System)
There are 3 main operating systems for tablets, iOS, Android, and Windows. All of them have advantages and disadvantages, so you just must get the OS that you will give you more value.
Tablets come in all shapes and prices. Consider your own budget and allocate accordingly. Low-tier price bracket will give you basic features, while the premium level is sure to offer better performance and add-ons.
Mobile Gaming Accessories
When we game, we want the best experience that we can have. Here are some accessories that you can get to push your gaming session further:
Bluetooth Gaming Controllers
This accessory is the closest you can get to a real gaming console experience. This device is designed like a PS4 or Xbox controller. It is perfect and convenient for long gaming sessions.
This accessory came out of nowhere as soon as FPS smartphone gaming became a trend. Mobile phone triggers are attachments that you put on the top of your tablet while playing games. This is very useful for first-person shooter games like PUBG.
With mobile video games advancing, it is obvious that increased demand will drain your battery faster. An external power bank is a wise investment for gamers on the go.
A small pad to enhance your gaming experience. This small gamepad is sure to make your gaming sessions better, not to mention improving your chances of victory.
Adding a pen to any tablet will surely increase accuracy, speed, and productivity. It will also be quite convenient during your gaming sessions.
As technology advances, so are our gaming habits and demands. Living in a fast-paced society, it is no wonder portability is becoming a star of the show. As other spheres in life, gaming is also affected. Think several moves ahead, and be sure portability is always a safe bet. You will, of course, have to respect the restraints – budget, experience, taste and all that jazz. There, you are now ready to go.