Genre-specific mice emerged as a subclass of the all-purpose gaming rodents. Over the last couple of years, MMO gaming mice have undergone a rapid development. Manufacturers packed them with a tremendous number of buttons intended for triggering macros and shortcuts. If you are heavily into MMOs, the shortcuts and macroses must be of critical importance to you. So, the most obvious difference between the best gaming mouse for MMO and a standard gaming mouse is the sheer number of buttons. Now when you are familiar with the most important specs, check out some of the models worth your attention.
Best MMO Mouse
Table of Contents
- Best MMO Mouse
- Corsair SCIMITAR Pro RGB – 12 Side buttons, 16000 DPI, Optical sensor
- Logitech G600 – 20 Programmable Buttons, G-shift ring-finger button
- Razer Naga Epic Chroma – 19 Buttons, 8200 dpi, In-game MMO Configurator, Ergonomic
- Redragon M901 PERDITION – 16400 DPI, Laser Sensor
- Razer Naga Trinity – Versatile, 3 mice in 1
- What is important for a MMO Gaming Mouse
MMO Mice Comparison Table
- Flawless optical sensor
- Supports palm and fingertip gripping styles
- Great ergonomics
- Functional, user-friendly software
- Not very convenient for claw grippers
- A bit heavy
Corsair Scimitar Pro is a sleek, great looking mouse. The color schemes and the yellow accenting with the black, in particular, is an eye-pleasing departure from the standard color schemes of most mice.
The mouse itself is made of sturdy materials that can withstand the severe clicking in MOBAs and get MMORPG fans through the thrilling and yet exhausting late night gaming sessions. Although the mouse is largely promoted as suitable for MMO and MOBAs, I could not resist the temptation to test it in various shooters and RTGs, but you will find more on that matter below. Now, I am just going to drop a hint that the Scimitar Pro performed brilliantly in almost all scenarios.
- Exclusive key Slider macro button control system. Compatibility - A PC with a USB port , Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7
- 12 optimized mechanical side buttons designed to Pro player specifications for consistent tactile feedback and precise actuation. Textured side button keycaps provide enhanced grip and feel
- The patent pending design provides 8mm of key travel with secure lock to ensure every button is within reach. Surface calibration tuning Utility: optimizes sensor for your playing surface
- Easily accessible thumb keys
- Different modes can be selected on-the-fly
- G-shift ring-finger button
- For right-handed players only
- No dedicated DPI switching button
Logitech G600 is yet another gaming mouse that belongs to the highly competitive MMO gaming niche. It would not be excessive to say that it is a fearsome rival to Razer Naga. What’s more, some folks believe the G600 was heavily inspired by the Naga but still both devices differ from one another in several aspects.
The G600 sports the mind-blowing 20 programmable buttons and this is arguably its biggest selling point. During my tests, some hardware issues emerged, but if you are more concerned about functionality rather than ergonomics, the G600 is worth your attention. I am not saying that you will have to make inhuman efforts to reach the buttons, but one thing is for sure. The G600 is not everybody’s cup of tea.
It is an effective weapon in MMOs, but first-person shooters may have to look elsewhere. It is great for spell spamming, grinding and even performing standard office tasks, but it is unsuitable for performing the thousands of clicks in MOBAs. The non-adjustable weight affects the precision in FPS. Having said that, I found it works pretty well in CS: GO under one condition. Don’t play at high DPI unless you want to experience issues, related to forced mouse acceleration, and stuttering.
Logitech G600 does not offer as many hardware adjustment options as its peers. Basically, it looks pretty much like an all-purpose office mouse packed with programmable buttons. However, the unobtrusive design, the onboard memory, and the decent DPI are some of the features that give it an edge over the competition.
- 20 MMO-tuned buttons: Includes unique 12-button thumb panel designed for quick, no-look navigation. The low-friction polytetrafluoroethylene feet eliminate friction on nearly any surface for smoother...
- G-shift ring-finger button: Instantly double the number of actions you can perform with every button
- Built for comfort: Sculpted shape and tuned buttons reduce click fatigue during marathon multiplayer sessions. G8-cycle modes
Razer Naga Epic Chroma – 19 Buttons, 8200 dpi, In-game MMO Configurator, Ergonomic
- Comfortable, MMO optimized design
- Plenty of customization features
- 1ms response rate
- Some of the buttons are difficult to reach
- Not the best choice for other gaming genres except for MMO
I totally agree that the Razer Naga Epic Chroma is one of the best genre-specific wireless mice on the market. Its razor-sharp accuracy, the 19 programmable buttons as well as the incredible wireless capabilities make it a great tool for every hardcore MMORPG fan. What’s more, the mouse comes with detachable side panels. No matter if you have a claw-, fingertip or palm grip style, you will find the Naga Epic Chroma comfortable for continuous use.
I feel obliged to tell you that it is slightly overpriced, but personally, I am a follower of the rule that “Cheap always comes out expensive”. To put it the other way around, if you are planning regular World of Warcraft marathons, don’t hesitate to give it a shot. The more spells you have at your fingertips, the higher your chances of winning are.
The Naga Epic Chroma offers you limitless options to improve your gaming technique including an in-game visual guide, 12 mechanical buttons under your thumb and Grid Assist overlay in-game. So, if you feel ready to embrace the MMO rocking capabilities the Epic Chroma possesses, keep reading and by the end of this review, you will be able to decide whether this is the right gaming mouse for you.
- 19 MMO optimized programmable buttons for unlimited combos
- Wireless gaming-grade technology for unbridled maneuverability
- In-game MMO Configurator. System requirements:PC or Mac with a free USB port, Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Mac OS X (v10.8 - 10.11),in-game configurator support is compatible with Windows 10 /...
Redragon M901 PERDITION – 16400 DPI, Laser Sensor
- 18 fully programmable buttons
- 16,400 DPI
- You can tweak the weight to your liking
- It takes some time to get used to the 12-button grid
Let’s call a spade a spade – the gaming industry is dominated by hardware giants that may roll out sophisticated pieces of merchandise, but these are not always affordable to the masses. As a matter of fact, avid gamers on tight budgets often face the challenge of finding a good cheap gaming mouse.
That’s why I am impatient to introduce my absolute favorite in the best budget mice for the MMO category. The Redragon M901 Perdition is an adorable peripheral that can totally elevate your World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy gameplay.
Well, since you have read this far, I assume you are not a brand slave wasting money hand over fist, so let’s not lose time and see why the M901 is a worthy alternative of the MMO-centric gaming mice that cost five times more.
- WIRED GAMING MOUSE; built for PC Gamers - Ergonomic Redragon M901 PERDITION Backlit Laser Gaming Mouse up to 24000 DPI via software (1000/2000/4000/8000/12000/24000 DPI user adjustable), 12000 FPS,...
- LED RGB BACKLIGHT PROGRAMMABLE GAMING MOUSE; 18 user programmable buttons, 5 Memory Profiles each with distinct LED color option for quick identification. Comes with 8-piece weight tuning set (2.4g...
- ERGONOMIC GAMER MOUSE DESIGN; The ergonomic shape of the Redragon M901 PC Gaming Mouse fits naturally in your hand, reduces stress while delivering superior productivity and efficiency. Giving gamers...
Razer Naga Trinity – Versatile, 3 mice in 1
- Incredibly versatile
- Easy to customize
- Affordable (you get 3 mice for the price of 1)
- Perfect for MMO/ MOBA diehards
- Too heavy for shooters
- Not ambidextrous
- No wireless mode
World of Warcraft players simply love the Naga mice and I swear by their in-game capabilities. I have stumbled upon heated debates “Naga Chroma vs Naga Hex” and luckily Razer has finally decided to put an end to the controversy with the introduction of Naga Trinity – an incredibly customizable gaming mouse that allows you to tweak it to an extent that fits your individual playstyle. You can turn the Naga Trinity into a Hex V2 to play LoL, a Naga Chroma for World of Warcraft raid, or simply attach the 2-button panel and try some shooters.
During my tests, I have found the Trinity to be a bit “fat” for shooters but if you have been playing MMOs and/ or MOBAs since forever, you will totally fall for its “Voltron” conception and the opportunity to assign a whole lot of spells, in particular. Check out our full Razer Naga Trinity review here.
- INCREDIBLY ACCURATE: True 16,000 DPI 5G Optical Sensor. Up to 450 inches per second (IPS) / 50 G acceleration
- MORE WAYS TO CUSTOMIZE: 3 interchangeable side plates with 2, 7 and 12-button configurations
- MORE COMMANDS: Up to 19 fully programmable buttons
What is important for a MMO Gaming Mouse
Apart from the buttons, the other factors that make a device suitable for WoW marathons are the following:
How many times did you get so absorbed into the game that when you finally press the Alt+Tab, you realize you have been playing for twelve hours or so? I bet these occasions are too many to count. In this regard, one of the most important features of the best MMO gaming mouse is the comfort it provides. It must feel natural in hand. Buttons should be easy to reach, too. If you play for one or two hours, you may not feel any discomfort, but you may rest assured the fatigue will be magnified during long gaming sessions.
The best MMO gaming mice allow you to swap between profiles on-the-fly and offer a decent number of configuration options. Pioneers in gaming gear manufacturing have perfectly optimized their software and made it user-friendly.
Buttons in Bulk and Ease of Use
Is there any point in explaining why the best gaming mice for MMO should possess plenty of buttons? Most all-purpose gaming mice offer no more than 6 programmable buttons. If you are serious about gaming, you should not settle for a device with fewer than 10 dedicated buttons mostly accessible by the thumb. The idea is to have as many spells at your fingertips as possible.
However, the availability of a whole lot of buttons is not enough to make gamers define a rodent as a good MMO gaming mouse. You should be able to tell the side buttons apart without looking at them. Don’t confuse comfort and ease of use, though. Comfort is the way your mouse fits your hand, while ease of use is the ability to effortlessly reach the buttons.
The best mice for gaming have either laser or optical sensor. Some of them have a dual sensor system too. Laser sensors track great regardless of the surface under the mouse. Although optical ones can struggle with translucent surfaces, they have an edge over the laser ones in terms of tracking sensitivity.
Creating macros through the software should be a no-brainer. Macros can help emphasize the better aspects of a game avatar. You can also use macros for enhancing synergies. Before you make a final decision, you’d better explore the options for creating macros via the software. Can you create a macro that launches other macros? Can you launch a macro that runs one command when you squeeze the button and another command when the button is released? To avoid unnecessary hassle, have a look at the manual that comes with the MMO gaming mouse you have chosen and check what the macros can and cannot do.