Finding a gaming chair within a very specific price range is easier said than done. There’s seemingly an endless amount of options available and picking the right gaming chair can be quite challenging. Hence why we’ve devised this guide to help you with your decision-making process.
To address the question at hand, if you’re on a tight budget then expect to pay between $100 to $200 for a decent gaming chair, albeit with limited features. On the other hand, those looking for a more premium gaming chair should expect to pay anywhere between $300 to $500.
Here, we will discuss the price dynamics of gaming chairs and go over the differences between cheap and expensive gaming chairs. We’ll also briefly discuss the best affordable and premium gaming chairs available and what to look for when shopping for one.
We have also included some very important tips on saving money while buying a gaming chair and when it is the right time to upgrade. So, sit tight as we explain how much a gaming chair costs and why buy a gaming chair instead of an office chair.
- The Price Dynamics: Why Are Gaming Chairs So Expensive?
- What Are the Most Expensive and Cheapest Gaming Chairs?
- What Should You Look for When Buying a Gaming Chair?
- How to Save Money When Buying a Gaming Chair?
- When Should You Buy a New Gaming Chair?
The Price Dynamics: Why Are Gaming Chairs So Expensive?
There are several factors affecting gaming chair prices. Here, we will take an in-depth look at these factors to see why gaming chairs are so expensive and whether or not is it worth buying a gaming chair.
First, you must understand the gaming chair cost breakdown and weigh in the gaming chair price vs. features. The reason gaming chairs tend to be expensive is because of their features that specifically cater to the unique requirement of a gamer.
Multiple Adjustability Points
Gamers tend to sit in their gaming chairs for hours, unlike in an office environment where workers frequently get up from their office chairs. So, to maximize comfort, gaming chairs feature adjustable armrests, footrests, headrests, and lumbar support, as well as recline, tilt, and height adjustments.
You usually don’t find so many adjustability points in regular desk chairs and thus a gaming chair remains at higher price points than their counterparts.
Higher Comfort Quotient and Build Quality
Seating comfort plays an integral role in how you excel in gaming. Sitting on a chair upholstered with cheap vinyl and with thin, stiff armrests can’t promise the comfort you need to deliver the focused performance.
Hence why gaming chairs are made with high-quality, premium materials such as PU leather or breathable mesh.
Moreover, gaming chairs feature heavy-duty metal frames and wheelbases for better longevity, stability, and durability.
The use of quality material and superior build quality also drive up the price of a gaming chair.
Premium gaming chairs also offer RGB lighting effects, a built-in sound system, a massager, cupholders, and heated seats. Unfortunately, all these features drive the cost of the gaming chair even further. As a result, it’s not uncommon to see premium gaming chairs costing well upwards of $500.
It’s common for popular YouTubers and Twitch Streamers to endorse gaming chairs, which drives up these chairs’ demand and market value. This also boosts the brand identity, allowing the companies behind these gaming chairs to drive up the prices of their entire line-up.
What’s the Difference Between Cheap and Expensive Gaming Chairs?
The biggest difference between cheap and expensive gaming chairs is durability. Expensive gaming chairs are built to last for years, and their manufacturers also offer warranties and after-sale services. In contrast, cheap gaming chairs prioritize making quick profits with no regard for durability or user comfort.
How Long Do Gaming Chairs Last?
The lifespan of a gaming chair can vary depending on various factors such as the quality of the materials, usage frequency, and how well the chair is maintained. On average, a good quality gaming chair can last anywhere between 3-5 years.
However, with proper care and maintenance, some gaming chairs can last even longer. Regular cleaning and avoiding excessive use or abuse can help extend the life of the chair.
It’s also important to note that warranties on gaming chairs can vary, and some manufacturers may offer longer or shorter warranties depending on the quality of the chair. So it’s always a good idea to check the warranty before purchasing a gaming chair.
Are Office Chairs Cheaper than Gaming Chairs?
Yes. Office chairs typically cost less than gaming chairs as they are designed to be affordable, adaptable, practical, and versatile. In addition, they are often bought in bulk with the primary goal of accommodating a diverse group of people having varying heights and weights. As a result, they often lack most features of a gaming chair, which keeps their cost low.
What Are the Most Expensive and Cheapest Gaming Chairs?
Now, we will briefly go over the prices of cheap vs. expensive gaming chairs to give you an idea of the gaming chair price range.
To begin with, the budget-oriented best gaming chair prices start at around $100 and cost up to $200. Here, the sweet spot is $150+, as gaming chairs under $150 typically compromise on build quality, features, or both to reach that aggressive price point. Here are some of the best affordable gaming chairs:
● GTRacing Gaming Chair: A highly popular, affordable, and versatile gaming chair. The chair features a wide 160-degree recline angle, built-in lumbar support, a headrest, and a carrying capacity of up to 300 pounds.
● Homall Gaming Recliner: Homall Gaming Recliner is a gaming chair/recliner hybrid and features a large footrest, an armrest mounted cup holder, and a large center pedestal with a 360-degree swivel. The backrest can be reclined up to 160 degrees, allowing for a comfortable sitting experience.
● Kerdom Ergonomic Office Chair: An ergonomic office chair with built-in lumbar support, a heavily padded foam cushion, and a mesh backrest made of breathable fabric. The seat features a 30-degree tilt and 120-degree recline adjustment. Despite being primarily aimed at office space, it’s also great for gamers looking for a comfortable, durable, yet budget-friendly gaming chair.
High-end gaming chair prices start at around $300 and may cost upwards of $500. DXRacer, SecretLab, VertaGear, and Maxnomic are some of the most popular premium gaming chair brands. Here, we will be listing three of the best premium gaming chairs you can buy in 2023:
● DXRacer Formula: A popular choice among YouTubers and Twitch Streamers, thanks to its top-notch build quality, cool factor, and comfort. The chair comes standard with a headrest, lumbar support, and 3D armrests. The chair is upholstered with premium PU leather material and features a Class 4 gas lift with a durable aluminum base.
● SecretLab Omega: The SecretLab Omega is all about user comfort and features. The Omega gaming chair features SecretLab’s signature memory cushion and pillow that molds to your body shape. The chair also features 4D armrests and a backrest with a recline angle of up to 165 degrees.
● VertaGear SL5800: A premium gaming chair featuring high-density UPHR foam, PUC leather upholstery, and an ultra-durable steel frame with a 5-star wheelbase. The chair is built to last and comes with a 10-year warranty. In short, the VertaGear SL5800 is well worth the investment.
- Revolutionizing ergonomics to tackle core health and comfort-related issues plaguing the industry-standard gaming chair. Vertagear’s patent-pending ContourMax and VertaAir Seat promise to tailor themselves to everyone’s specific needs and maximize comfort and healthy posture.
- The ContourMax Lumbar is Vertagear’s groundbreaking new lumbar support that alleviates tension throughout your body by dynamically contouring itself to your back’s shape and movement, keeping you in a healthy posture for gaming, streaming, or work from home.
- The VertaAir seat boasts features that improve support, comfort, and relief from chronic back pain. The seat is embedded with eight hexagonal air pillars, inspired by Bernoulli’s Principle, all designed with smaller air intake tunnels and 4-way air emission tunnels to provide pressure relief for your bones and superior back support.
What Should You Look for When Buying a Gaming Chair?
These are the aspect you should consider while buying a gaming chair:
Always consider the ergonomics before buying a gaming chair. Your height and weight solely determine what kind of chair to get. A chair designed for shorter people may not be as comfortable for taller people and vice versa. So, always check the height and weight requirements of the gaming chair you’re considering.
For example, DXRacer Formula and SecretLab Omega are some of the best gaming chairs for smaller people. On the other hand, gaming chairs such as the SecretLab Titan and AKRacer Master Series are more suitable for taller people who are over 6 feet tall and weigh up to 400 lbs.
After ergonomics, the next important thing to consider is adjustability. It’s not uncommon for gamers to play games for hours on end. Sitting in one position for extended periods causes pressure to build up, leading to reduced blood flow and oxygen to the muscles.
This can result in temporary discomfort or pain and may even cause long-term health issues. To mitigate these negative effects, buying a gaming chair that’s tilt, recline, and height adjustable is important.
By constantly changing your sitting position and taking short breaks, you can dramatically reduce any health risks associated with prolonged sitting.
Neck and Lumbar Support
If you tend to play video games for extended periods, then never overlook neck pillows and lumbar support.
Neck pillows provide support to your neck and help you keep your head from hunching forward. Similarly, lumbar support aims to help your backbone retain its natural curvature while sitting, thus preventing your body from a forward slouch.
You put extra strain and pressure on your lower back and neck when you don’t use neck and lumbar support. Over time, this can lead to serious health issues, notably herniated discs.
While neck and lumbar support often cost a little extra for certain gaming chairs, their benefits are well worth the investment.
Gaming chairs are available in various materials, such as real leather, PU leather, vinyl, and mesh. Each material has its perks and quirks:
● Real leather feels very premium but also tends to be quite expensive. Plus, it’s not water-resistant and requires a lot of maintenance.
● PU leather doesn’t feel as premium as real leather but tends to be cheap, durable, and waterproof.
● Vinyl tends to be cost-effective, waterproof, and requires no maintenance. But unfortunately, it doesn’t last nearly as long as leather.
● Mesh material provides excellent ventilation and keeps your body from building sweat. However, the mesh also tends to be extremely fragile and not as comfortable as other materials.
Style and Design
Style and design mostly depend on your taste and preference, so it’s highly objective. For example, most gamers prefer a gaming chair with a racing-style bucket seat. They look cool, sleek, and stylish but also lock your body into place.
If you tend to shift in your seat constantly then a racing-style seat may not be the best option for you. In that case, consider a gaming recliner or an ergonomic office chair.
How to Save Money When Buying a Gaming Chair?
Here are some of the best ways to save money while buying a gaming chair:
Do Your Research
Doing proper research before settling for a gaming chair is always a good idea. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to spare the time to do the research. In that case, you can take a look at our carefully compiled list of the six best gaming chairs for back pain.
Look for Sales and Discounts
Keep an eye out for sales and discounts, particularly during the holiday season and other special occasions. Retailers often try to clear out their old inventories in these time periods to make room for newer products.
Buy a Refurbished Gaming Chair
It’s not a bad idea to buy a factory-refurbished gaming chair. While the chair may have some minor cosmetic flaws and other defects, the discounted price often more than makes up for them.
Be Mindful of Private Labeling
Many budget gaming chair models are produced by the same manufacturer – usually from China – and then sold in bulk to various companies. These companies then relabel these chairs and sell them as their own.
This practice is called “private labeling.” Hence why it’s always a good idea to search for similar chairs under different brands. It’s certainly possible to find the exact same chair at a much lower price.
Focus on the Essentials
While you may be tempted to splurge on cosmetic features such as two-tone color schemes or RGB lighting effects, they aren’t essential. While these features look cool, they don’t contribute anything to what truly matters: Comfort. So, always focus on the essentials such as ergonomics, user adjustability, and comfort.
By following these simple steps, you can find a gaming chair that fits not only your preferences and criteria but also your budget. However, if you’re on a particularly tight budget, then don’t forget to take a look at our list of the nine best gaming chairs under $200.
When Should You Buy a New Gaming Chair?
Here, we will be discussing all the signs that indicate it’s time to buy a new gaming chair:
● Gaming chairs are upholstered with perishable materials, usually vinyl or polyurethane leather, which deteriorate with age and start to tear.
● The pneumatic cylinders and hydraulic pumps holding the seat eventually lose their pressure, causing the seat to bottom out and sink. These worn-out cylinders make seat height adjustment practically impossible.
● The seat and backrest cushions of the gaming chair lose their firmness and start to dip or sag. This results in an uneven seating position that’s detrimental to your ergonomics.
● The reclining spring mechanism may also lose its stiffness over time, making it difficult to maintain a desired recline angle.
● The caster wheels of the gaming chair also tend to break down and get stuck. Sometimes they even come loose, making the gaming chair wobbly or immobile.
How Much Are Fortnite Gaming Chairs?
Gaming chairs for Fortnite players typically start from $100 and can cost upwards of $500. While you can go with a more affordable option, a quality gaming chair improves your gaming experience and comfort and also lasts longer.
What Gaming Chair Do Most Youtubers Use?
DXRacer gaming chairs are highly popular among YouTubers and Twitch Streamers thanks to their solid build quality, adjustability, and user comfort. While they’re a bit on the expensive side, their exceptional build quality and durability make them a worthwhile long-term investment.
How Much Is a Gravity Gaming Chair?
The IW-R1 Zero Gravity Gaming Chair costs $3,999. While that’s certainly a large sum of money, the IW-R1 is a lot more than just your standard gaming chair.
It features an iconic overhead “arm” with a triple-screen monitor bracket and dual handrails protruding from the sides. The handrails double as armrests and provide small front desk space.
The chair itself comes with a foot pedal and leg rest, both of which are electronically user adjustable. In addition, the entire chair can be reclined up to 140 degrees for a “zero-gravity” gaming experience.
How Much Does a Logitech Chair Cost?
The Logitech Embody Gaming Chair, designed and built in collaboration with Herman Miller, costs $1,695.
The chair consists of a die-cast aluminum base. There’s a five-star metal base at the bottom and a four-layer seat with a support coil and an elastic suspension. Both the support coil and elastic suspension move independently for maximum user comfort.
Should I Buy a Leather Gaming Chair?
Yes, you should definitely consider a leather gaming chair. To start off, the leather looks sleek, stylish, and premium. It also tends to be more durable than vinyl and synthetic polyurethane leather, otherwise known as faux or PU leather.
However, leather requires proper care and attention to maintain its appearance as it’s a porous material. As a result, it tends to soak up spillage, which can permanently damage it. It’s also highly sensitive to harsh chemicals and abrasive cleaners. Hence, it must be cleaned frequently with a damp cloth dabbed in soap, water, or light cleaning chemical.
In conclusion, gaming chairs come in a wide range of prices, depending on the features. While finding a very good gaming chair within the $100 to $200 range is possible, those who want the best should expect to pay anywhere between $300 to $500.
As we’ve discussed, it’s very important to consider the price dynamics. The more features you want in your gaming chair, the more you should expect to pay. It’s as simple as that. Just pay close attention to the chair’s ergonomics, level of adjustability, lumbar support, and build quality.
However, don’t go overboard with features and maintain your focus on the essentials such as adjustability and comfort. Also, do proper research, keep an eye out for sales and discounts, and don’t hesitate to consider a refurbished gaming chair.