Straight to the point: here’s how to use USB microphones for PS4/PS5:
How to Use USB Microphones for PS4
- Make sure the USB microphone is connected to the PS4.
- Go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Input Devices.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘USB Microphone.’
How to Use USB Microphone for PS5
- Connect the USB microphone to the PS5.
- Go to Settings > Sound > Microphone > Input Device.
- In ‘Input Device,’ select ‘USB Microphone.’
How Do I Get My Mic to Work on PS5?
Here’s how to connect a USB microphone for PS5.
- Connect your USB microphone to the PS5.
- Go to the ‘Home Screen’ and select ‘Settings.’
- Scroll down and select ‘Sound.’
- Then, select ‘Microphone.’
- Next, click on ‘Input Device.’ It should be set to ‘Microphone on Controller’ by default.
- In ‘Input Device,’ select ‘USB Microphone,’
- Now, you should be able to use your USB microphone on your PS5.
If you also want to know how to use USB mic and headset on PS5 at the same time:
- Plug your USB headset into the PS5.
- Go to ‘Sound’ and select ‘Audio Output.’
- Select ‘Output Device.’ (on top)
In ‘Output Device,’ select ‘USB Headset.’ The headset could be either wired or wireless (2.4G).
- And with that, you should be able to use your USB microphone and headset simultaneously.
Does Any USB Mic Work With PS5?
Yes, the PS5 features native support for USB microphones, which means all USB microphones currently available in the market should work with the PS5 without any compatibility issues.
Why Won’t My Mic Work on PS5?
If your PS5 USB mic is not working, ensure your USB mic is plugged into the console and switched on. If that’s already the case, go into Sound settings and select the USB microphone option. If neither of these methods work, then there might be something wrong with your microphone.
How Do I Use a USB Mic on PS4?
Here’s how you can connect a USB microphone to your PS4 or PS4 Pro console:
- Plug your USB mic into any available USB ports on your PS4.
- Go to ‘Settings.’
- Scroll down and select ‘Devices.’
- In the ‘Devices’ settings, select ‘Audio Devices.’
- From here, select your USB microphone as ‘Input Device.’
- Next, select ‘Adjust Microphone Level.’
- From here, adjust the ‘Microphone Level’ slider until the ‘Input Volume’ is in the ‘Good’ range.
- Don’t set the ‘Input Volume’ to ‘Too High’ as that can cause audio distortion. Similarly, if the input volume is set to ‘Too Low,’ others won’t be able to hear your voice.
- And with that, your USB mic is all set and ready to go!
Why Is My USB Mic Not Working on PS4?
USB mics may fail to function properly due to hardware component failures like damaged plugs, cables, or ports. Incorrect audio settings such as low microphone gain or a firmware bug, can also contribute to this issue.
Do PS4 Wired Headsets Work on PS5?
Yes, official PS4 peripherals — including PlayStation Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets — are compatible with the PlayStation 5. It’s worth noting that certain third-party headsets created specifically for the PS4 may also function on the newer console, although official support for them is not guaranteed.
Connecting a USB microphone to your PlayStation may seem complex, but in practice, it couldn’t be any simpler; setting up a microphone on either console only takes a few minutes.
And if you’re curious about the best USB mic for PS5, don’t forget to check out our comprehensive breakdown of the best microphone for streaming!
Frequently Asked Questions
Time to answer some FAQs related to PS4 and PS5 USB microphones!
How Do I Use a USB Mic and Wired Headset on PS5?
On the PS5, separate mic and headphones work by plugging in the USB mic and wired headset to the PS5 console and DualSense controller, respectively.
Then go to ‘Sound’ settings, select ‘Microphone,’ and select ‘USB Microphone’ in ‘Input Device.’ Lastly, go to ‘Audio Output’ and select ‘Output Device’ to ‘Wired Headset.’
How Do I Use My USB Mic and Headset at the Same Time PS4?
To connect both a USB mic and a headset to the PS4, plug the USB mic into a vacant USB slot. Then, connect your headset to the 3.5mm audio jack on the DualShock 4 controller.
Finally, make sure that in ‘Audio Devices,’ the ‘Input Device’ is set to ‘USB Microphone’ while the ‘Output Device’ is set to ‘Headset Connected to Controller.’
Can You Use an Aux Mic on PS5?
Yes. You can connect an auxiliary microphone to the PS5 using the 3.5mm audio jack at the bottom of your DualSense controller. You can also use a USB to 3.5mm adapter cable (TRS or TRRS) to directly connect the microphone to the PS5 console itself.
How Do I Make My USB Mic Sound Better on PS5?
To improve your microphone’s sound on the PS5:
- Press the PlayStation button on your DualSense controller.
- Select ‘ Mic ‘ in the quick settings menu and click ‘Adjust Mic Level.’
- Adjust the ‘Microphone Level’ slider on the next screen until the ‘Input Volume’ is in the ‘Good’ zone.