Tough on Immersion, Gentle on Budget
PC and PS4 gamers are always on the lookout for gear that can maximize their gaming experience. That is why top PS4 and PC headsets are in high demand. Unfortunately, not every gamer is blessed with deep pockets. So aside from dedicated software, top-notch audio, surround sound, and a crisp mic, the price point is also a huge factor in buying a headset.
Now, you might be thinking, “With the vast product variety on the market, how could I find the best quality headset in the budget category?” But fear not! We’ve rounded up the best budget headset that doesn’t compromise quality and still has an attractive price tag. Read on to find the one that suits your playstyle and budget best.
Table of Contents
- Excellent bass
- Suited for FPS games
- Robust build
The Turtle Beach Recon 200 is an over-ear gaming headset that seems cheaply made but is amazingly satisfying for lengthy gaming sessions. A real budget option, the Recon 200, feels premium made and expensive.
Though finely made, this gaming headset sturdy thanks to its metal-reinforced headband. It is comfortable, too, thanks to the refined faux leather and the generous layer of memory foam. The reinforced frame and build of the Recon 200 unavoidably make it a bit heavy, however not to the point to cause discomfort.
The Recon 200 impresses in the sound department with its intense bass notes and crisp sound effects. The gaming experience is also upgraded thanks to its surround software compatibility. This headset is supported by Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic. So, if you want game explosions and gunfights to be as immersive as possible, then these cans won’t fail you. It has good audio reproduction plus an always-on Bass Boost, which is perfect for action-packed games. The Recon 200 uses neodymium 40mm speakers, which deliver a nice robust sound.
The wired headphones need constant monitoring of the battery level, which may be a bit of a hassle. On the bright side, they will undoubtedly provide you with a lag-less gaming session. Plus, they are compatible with PC and consoles alike. In a nutshell, this is a headset that won’t fail you, and it comes with a reasonable price tag.
- Powerful amplified audio: Immerse yourself in your games with rechargeable battery powered amplified sound from your Xbox One and PS4
- Surround sound ready for Xbox One: Optimized to deliver immersive Windows Sonic surround sound, provided by Microsoft for Xbox One (and compatible Windows 10 PCs)
- Flip up mic: Turtle Beach's renowned high sensitivity mic picks up your voice loud and clear, and flips up to mute
- Cost efficient
- Comfortable and solid design-build
- Top notch audio quality
The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition is definitely one of the best PS4 headsets you can get in terms of performance and price. The company is no stranger to quality headsets; to make my point just look at their Razer Thresher Ultimate. Back to the Kraken TE, it is an incredible all-rounder, with audio capacities that function well above its price tag. It also sports an outstanding bass that makes it ideal for gaming. Unfortunately, you can only get the standard 5.1 audio from the 3.5mm connection on PS4 as the 7.1 capabilities are for PC only.
If you plug the headset to the PC, you can also get THX Spatial audio as well, which delivers next-level gaming immersion. The bass is distinct without overcoming the highs and mids. It also performs well on dialogue-heavy games as character voices come through audibly above the ambiance music. You can easily modify the bass levels since not every genre relies on the lower frequency.
The Kraken TE is also fine-tuned for FPS games as it does a tremendous job in helping you pinpoint enemy movements accurately using the surround sound. Comfort-wise it’s very pleasant to wear for long periods. All thanks to the revamped headband and cooler ear-cushions. The mic is also clear and loud, and the cable is a decent length. Overall, it’s a fabulous pair of gaming cans, and will significantly improve the audio for all PS4 and PC games without paying extra.
- The #1 Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc., U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Gaming Designed: Keyboards, Mice, PC Headsets, and PC Microphones, Based on...
- THX 7.1 Surround Sound Capable: Provides industry-leading audio realism for in-game immersion by providing accurate spatial audio information beyond standard 7.1 surround sound directional cues
- Sound Built for Immersive Gaming: Outfitted with custom-tuned 50 mm drivers
- Attractive price point
- Sound quality not comprised with budget tag
- Super soft ear cushions
If your budget is tight and you don’t have extra cash to splurge, check out the Turtle Beach Recon 50P. Apart from the attractive price, it delivers a reasonable sound and can even compete with mid-priced headsets. Yes, the 40mm drivers aren’t going to produce sound as powerful as the more upscale models with 50mm components. However, it’s often just as clear, plus the stereo audio here does a proper job of emulating a full surround sound experience.
The bass is adequate for this budget range and is enough for you to still enjoy satisfactory gaming audio. The mids and highs are not that balanced, but it is not muddy either. Overall this headset will deliver for its price point, and that is fair enough. My only real issue is that this headset comes with a mic, which isn’t the most reliable one out there; at least it is not intrusive.
The Recon 50P is quite comfortable, and the ear cushions feel great, although I wish there was extra padding on the headband. The overall build is stable, so this isn’t a headset that’ll die fast if you happen to subject it to some abuse.
The blue and black/white models match with your PS4’s aesthetic design, which is pretty cool. The wired connection plugs easily into your PS4 controller’s headphone socket, so it’s simple enough to set up. However, if you want to experience Turtle Beach’s wireless gaming goodness, then the Turtle Beach Elite 800X is an excellent choice for you.
- Removable microphone for casual use
- Well balanced audio profile
The Corsair HS60 is another good contender in the budget category. The headphones are surprisingly well-made, and at this price, they feel premium. You get an excellent value with the high-grade audio quality, the robust microphone, and comfy design.
Undoubtedly these headphones are a dependable option for PS4 and PC gamers who don’t like the hefty, gamer-centric appearance of most gaming headsets. To be honest, they look casual, and I bet they won’t draw much attention even on the street. The fact that you can detach the boom mic also helps.
Their well-balanced sound profile is not just for gaming but for other activities as well, like watching movies and music binging. The Corsair HS60 has a well-balanced audio reproduction. Bass is well balanced and can certainly give justice to epic boss fight music. It is also equipped with a good noise-canceling mic, which is perfect for voice chats.
- Legendary Corsair build quality and metal construction ensures long term durability
- Plush Memory foam and adjustable earcups provide exceptional comfort for hours of gameplay
- Precision tuned 50mm Neodymium speaker drivers bring superior sound quality with wide range and accuracy
- Noise filtering microphone
- Well balanced gaming audio
- Comfortable and sturdy build
The HyperX Cloud Revolver is a luxurious and undeniably well-built headset that is ideal for gaming. Unlike other gaming headsets that are a bit awkward for casual use, the Cloud Revolver is equipped with a detachable mic, in turn making them look like regular headphones. To be honest, this makes these cans just as appealing to those who want to use them outdoors. Sadly, you may find them a bit on the bulky side, so you can’t really store them in a small purse as they do not fold.
Gaming audio-wise, the HyperX Cloud Revolver is a pretty good sounding pair of closed-back over-ear headphones. Aside from having an extended and balanced bass, you will also notice the considerably stable mid-range, the clean treble, plus the good imaging. Thanks to the bass range of this headset, it is great for RPG games with fantastic music scores. It also performs quite well for shooters games.
Overall the rating of Cloud Revolver for gaming is above average. Besides from a well-balanced sound, it also sports an impressive noise filtering mic perfect for Discord and in-game voice chats. It is also super comfy to wear for long periods. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have any software support, so you can’t really add any customization options.
- Studio grade sound stage
- Signature HyperX memory foam with premium leatherette
- Durable steel frame; TeamSpeak and Discord certified noise cancelling mic
- Audiophile approved audio
- Ergonomic design for long gaming session
- Aesthetically pleasing design
The Arctis Pro Wireless is a comfortable, thoughtfully designed gaming headset that sounds marvelous. It has a premium battery system and a reliable microphone. It’s slightly expensive, though, and like its gaming headset siblings, it’s somewhat bulky and has weak isolation performance.
However, even with this con, the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless is still a quality gaming headset. The model is nicely designed and aesthetically pleasing. Although the model is a bit similar in appearance and functions to the other Arctis headset product line, the Arctis Pro Wireless has extra versatility when it comes to controls thanks to a dedicated Bluetooth Sync button, which also manages music and calls.
It’s a pretty comfortable gaming headset that may feel a bit tight on larger heads. The earcup padding is soft, but not very breathable, so it is not meant to be worn during extreme physical activities. The headphones are well-built and can be utilized with or without wires. The closed-back over-ear design is impressive and definitely adds to their functionality sound-wise.
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless have accurate audio reproduction, with a nearly perfect neutral bass and mid-range. Their bass has a generous amount of punch, while their treble is full and precise. If you’re not that fond of a neutral sound signature, you can use the transmitter or the SteelSeries app to EQ the audio to your needs. Their imaging is superb too, you can pinpoint sound in the distance and recognize accurately where it’s coming from, which is great for competitive games.
- Premium hi res capable speakers with high density neodymium magnets reproduce a full, expansive frequency range from 10 to 40,000 hertz with stunning realism and clarity
- Luxurious polished steel and aluminum alloy construction offers maximum durability and a consistent fit
- Next generation DTS headphone: X v2.0 surround sound provides optimal spatial imaging for complete 360 degree immersion
- Decent battery life
- Lightweight and portable
- Balanced gaming audio
The Plantronics RIG 800HS is a high-grade gaming headset with a comfortable and lightweight design for hardcore gaming. This is one of the most luxurious gaming headsets I’ve examined so far. Its secret weapon is its memory-foam ear cushions that are encased in soft leather. Perfect for hours and hours of use. Actually, I was skeptical when I first saw the thin headband and plastic frame, but upon closer inspection, they are quite robust in build.
The headphones have decent battery life and well-balanced audio that’s passable even for critical listening. The RIG 800HS is explicitly made for the PS4; however, there’s also the RIG 800HX, which is made for Xbox One.
Overall the Plantronics RIG 800HS is a worthy addition to your gaming arsenal. Its well-balanced sound provides enough bass jabs for powerful explosions. It also does a reasonably good job at games that are conversation-centric; you can easily make out character dialogues, which is what you need for RPG games.
- WIRELESS HEADSET: PlayStation headphones have a lag-free, digital wireless audio with a 10m range from the wireless base, and amplified audio with matched 40 mm drivers that bring the soundstage to...
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY: The first wireless PS4 gaming headset with up to 24-hour battery life and a quick-charge feature that provides up to 1.5 hours of gaming per 30-minute charge
- CUSHIONED DESIGN: The flexible, durable, PS4 gaming headset frame lets you configure earcups and self-adjusting headband to create your perfect fit
- Excellent audio profile
- Sturdy and solid frame
- Microphone is clear and crisp
The Beyerdynamic Custom Game headset is one of the best-value headsets out there. Not just because of its superb sound quality but also because of its comfort-levels during extended gaming sessions. You will find this headset quite balanced – neither too tight nor too loose. My only remark is that it looks a little bit odd. It doesn’t have the regal look of other gaming headsets like the Sennheiser Game One.
Fortunately, what it may lack in aesthetics was filled with pure gaming goodness. The surround sound of this headset is excellent for competitive FPS games. You will be able to pick up small sound cues with ease.
Footsteps, gunfires, and even door closing, you name it – the Beyerdynamic Custom Game will deliver. Unfortunately, the sound profile is not so balanced as it is heavy on bass. Which is, to be honest, a common issue among gaming headsets. After all, game music is bass-heavy, so it is natural to have bass-centric headsets. One of the best parts of these cans is the microphone. It is clear and comes with a cool little pop-shield, super convenient to deter plosives.
- Closed stereo headset ideal for all gaming and multi-media applications
- High-quality microphone and detachable cable with remote control for all PC and gaming consoles
- Supplied with detachable remote control cable, 1/4" jack adapter and 1.2 M [3.9 ft.] y-extension cable, design ear-cup covers
- Comfortable even after long gaming sessions
- Excellent audio reproduction
- Robust battery life
Turtle Beach gaming headsets are renowned for their distinguished audio balance and build quality. They are built to be comfortable and to carry through long hours of gaming. This is not surprising as Turtle Beach makes headsets exclusively for gaming, and their audio devices are designed for heavy-duty gaming.
Ditching wires is trendy, and that is evident with gadgets like wireless gaming mice and wireless earbuds. And so Turtle Beach cut off the wires of the Stealth 700. The lack of pesky cable is a huge plus, and fortunately, the audio performance is not affected in any way. Equipped with noise-canceling capabilities, you are sure to experience gaming audio the way it was meant to be.
The sound profile of the Stealth 700 is fantastic. It has a very distinctive, warm sound with loads of satisfying, rumbling bass. It is akin to the bass sound that is common in cinemas. It also does an exceptional job of adding emotion and immersion to your gaming. You will also notice that it has a vibrant and robust mid-range. It has nice tweaking options such as to augment sounds like footsteps and gunshots, perfect for competitive FPS gaming. Add the streaming grade microphone, and you get the complete ensemble that makes
- 100 percent wireless: The included wireless USB adapter uses smart channel hopping technology for a best in class wireless game and chat audio experience
- DTS headphone: X surround sound technology: Creates a highly immersive 7.1 channel soundstage around your head for the most immersive Surround sound audio experience on PS4
- Active noise cancellation: Block out unwanted background distractions and stay fully immersed in your games; Enjoy Hearing Pure game and chat audio; And nothing else
- Excellent sound quality for gaming
- Soft, comfortable headband and earcups
- Multi-platform usage
Highly acclaimed for their design and quality, ASTRO Studios introduced the ASTRO Gaming line back in 2006. Since then, the company has been pumping up good gaming audio gear, such as the crowd favorite ASTRO A40 TR.
The ASTRO Gaming A50 is no exception to the rule, and of course, this amazing audio power comes at a price. Although a little bit on the bulky side, it is quite comfortable to wear – with the feeling of your ears and the top of your head being smothered with softness.
Audio-wise, the ASTRO A50, sounds quite well; it can deeply enhance immersion thanks to its 7.1 surround sound. Honestly, it’s one of the best headsets around if you want to feel enemy gunshots up close and personal.
Fortunately, it’s also versatile enough that it can handle you next Netflix and Chill marathon without worries. The ASTRO A50 emphasizes balanced highs and deep bass. Due to its Dolby Pro llx compatibility, it is equipped with a software-enabled sound mixing that is on a par with any 7.1 headsets on the market.
If you are a gamer who fancies a potent and adaptable headset, the ASTRO A50 is for you! It produces high-quality sound fidelity, and mixing and being able to use it on multiple platforms makes it worth the money.
- Pro Audio Quality
- Superior Fit & Finish
- Compatible With Next-Gen A50 Headsets. The A50 Mod Kits were designed and engineered specifically for the latest A50 headsets.
There are tons to consider when choosing a gaming headset and, without a doubt, sound quality should weigh more than fancy features and aesthetics. Though the built-in speakers on your TV or external PC speakers would work just fine, nothing can beat the isolation and sound quality a pair of gaming cans can provide. If you score a good headset, you will suddenly notice small sound details in the world, you catch gunfire sounds with increased clarity, and you’re even conscious of other players and characters moving all around you.
Exceptional sound quality can make or break an epic game, so investing in a great PC and PS4 headset is the most straightforward way to enhance your gaming experience.